PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

AFL Insider on Foxtel Tonight - Andrew Russell analyses running technique

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anonymous

I've copied this from from a footy forum. Tonight on AFL Insider, Hawthorn Strength & Conditioning coach Andrew Russell will analyse the running techniques of Buddy Frankin & Cyril Rioli.

From Bigfooty -

"Showed a preview this evening on a story AFL insider is running next Tuesday on Cyril's new running action.

Looks great and will be very informative for us fans.

Will include an indepth interview and analysis with Andrew Russell. The preview showed a comparison between Buddy's running style and Cyril's and the impact of each action on the hamstring.

Key statement: Cyril may in fact get faster.

Lock in your IQ for Tuesday and perhaps we can try to include a link once it is screened.

Interesting bit from the preview was the difference between how Buddy lands on the ball of his foot (on his toes/front part of his foot) when running, whilst Cyril lands on his heel and rolls forward on his foot from there. This apparently puts more pressure on his hammy's and part of what they are trying to get him to change.

Will be an interesting watch tonight."

Anonymous

One would assume that if an athlete was running at pace, the knee angle in the sagittal plane would be largely influenced by foot positioning. To land on your midfoot/forefoot would assume a mild plantarflexed ankle joint (or forefoot on the midfoot), while a heel strike may assume a increased ankle joint dorsiflexion angle.
This increased dorsiflexion angle of ankle may possibly be link to kinematics altering at the knee in the sagittal plane . i.e. to run faster (inc stride length) - may require increased knee extension angle, thus may increase 'tensile' stress of the posterior compartment of the thigh (hamstrings). Also, the load from heel --> forefoot transitition may increase the eccentric loading time of the hamstrings as the knee moves into a flexed postion.
One would also assume a 'forefoot' strike would increase eccentric demand on the posterior compartment of the leg (gastroc-soleal / achilles unit) and there may be increase tensile loading of the achilles??

There's a fair whack of research coming out in the states, push by Professor Irene Davis right now...more so looking at gait retraining in prevention/reduce of 'overuse' pathologies such as tibial shock injuries and knee pain. However, the may soon be more links to common 'gait anomolies' and commonly seen 'acute' running injuries, and thus better intervention ideas available to coaching staff and health professionals.

Nitta

Anonymous

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is terrific to see a Footy show like AFL Insider go behind the scenes and analyses training methodologies and the sports science that is part of the modern game.

Andrew Russell is one of the few AFL fitness coaches with a genuine athletic/running background. Rioli's running mechanics is clearly an aspect he is eager to work on with Rioli to overcome his hamstring injuries and make him faster & more agile.

Russell has identified the foot hits the ground on its heel first & is too far in front of the centre of mass thereby putting a greater eccentric load through Rioli's hamstrings.

His methods to improve this is to have Riloi do a series of drills such as high knees, skips and basic run throughs practicing the running action to ensure the foot strikes the ground on the mid to front part of the foot and the foot strike is made closer to the centre of mass. He did say that the muscle memory (of how one has moved for many years) takes many hours to alter and Rioli needs to work at it constantly to ensure every drill and 'run through' is done correctly so that ultimately the altered technique becomes habitual.

Russell was soley focussing on the lower body mechanics and there was no direct discussion on Riloi's upper body and arm mechanics.

Anonymous

interestingly enough, I had a very long and detailed discussion with a hawthorn fitness staff member about cyril's running technique (and other things) in relation to his frequent hamstring injuries. I made a few suggestions about what I thought was going on and what he could do to fix it. a week later there was an announcement that the trainers were going to reconstruct his running style. certainly seems to have worked - no injuries since.

makes you think... Wink

Anonymous

I have been unable to watch the Andrew Russell program (no Foxtel) but I am wondering did address the difference between the studies conducted on sprinters running on all-weather tracks in lanes in a straight line and footballers competing on an uneven grass surface with frequent changes of direction?
It would seem to me that many of the principles of efficient track sprinting, high hips etc may not apply in games played on fairly soft and unstable surfaces. Any thoughts?
Finally, congratulations Youngy on creating this forum and conducting things in a civilised manner. Since I retired from coaching five years ago it has occured to me how few good coaches there are in this Stafe, where are the new coaches?

Anonymous

roger pedrick wrote:I have been unable to watch the Andrew Russell program (no Foxtel) but I am wondering did address the difference between the studies conducted on sprinters running on all-weather tracks in lanes in a straight line and footballers competing on an uneven grass surface with frequent changes of direction?
It would seem to me that many of the principles of efficient track sprinting, high hips etc may not apply in games played on fairly soft and unstable surfaces. Any thoughts?
Finally, congratulations Youngy on creating this forum and conducting things in a civilised manner. Since I retired from coaching five years ago it has occured to me how few good coaches there are in this State, where are the new coaches?

Thanks Roger, your comments are appreciated. I did record the Cyril Rioli story on my DVD recorder. Last night I recorded it off the TV with an IPad. I will try to send it to Youtube so it can be uploaded on to Protrack. I have tried to send some film to Youtube a couple of times this week, only for it to crash, but hopefully I can get it up on the system soon.

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Andrew Russell talking about the running analysis conducted on Cyril Rioli on Fox Footy, AFL's Insider Program in August 2011.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Anonymous

Cheers Youngy, very interesting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum