PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anonymous

LaShawn Merritt Press Release On Arbitration
(press release)

<<Los Angeles, CA (October 18, 2010) - The American Arbitration Association on Friday reduced the suspension of 400-meter gold medalist LaShawn Merritt; LaShawn Merritt will be eligible to return to competition on July 27, 2011, making him eligible to defend his title at the 2011 World Championships.

In reducing the suspension, the AAA Panel accepted LaShawn Merritt’s explanation for the positive test that he issued in April 2010, and commended Mr. Merritt for coming forward with the cause of his inadvertent positive test as soon as he discovered it. The AAA Panel also noted the following:

-LaShawn Merritt had no intention to dope, no intention to gain a competitive advantage, and in fact gained no competitive advantage from his inadvertent use of the Extenze product; and

-LaShawn Merritt’s conduct “was exemplary and demonstrated tremendous character in making what had to be a painful and humiliating confession.”

The AAA Panel also specifically ruled that after his suspension ends on July 27, 2011, LaShawn Merritt is eligible to compete in all competitions of the USOC, IAAF and IOC; meaning that LaShawn Merritt is eligible to compete in the 2012 Olympic Games (where he is the defending Olympic champion).

LaShawn Merritt issued this statement:

“While I acknowledge that I made a mistake, I appreciate that the Arbitration Panel listened to all of the evidence, and agreed that I have never taken any substance to gain an advantage on the track. I have learned from my mistake, and would caution all athletes to be very careful about anything that they take, no matter where they buy it, and carefully read the label of any product, even in the off-season. I look forward to returning to competition as soon as possible and proving that my prior successes, including at the Olympic Games, were achieved honestly and fairly. I also need to thank my family, fans and sponsors who have supported me through this difficult process.”>>

T&FN notes that in the past USATF has always required World Championships team members (even those with IAAF "wild cards" like Merritt posseses) to compete at the Nationals. Since the 2011 USATF meet predates the end of the suspension, some change in the normal procedure will be required if he is to be in Daegu.
18/10/2010

2LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 Empty Merritt banned from 2012 Olympics Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/athletics/olympic-gold-medallist-lashawn-merritt-busted-again/story-e6frfgkx-1225940489157

LaShawn Merritt penalty reduced - Returns 27 July 2011 371696-lashawn-merritt

Merritt banned from 2012 Olympics
Herald Sun
October 20, 2010

DISGRACED sprinter Lashawn Merritt has been ruled ineligible to defend his Olympic 400-metre gold medal at the London Olympics in 2012.

The American sprinter received a 21-month suspension from US arbitrators this week for using a banned substance found in an over-the-counter male enhancement product.

The ban expires in July 2011, leaving Merritt eligible to compete in the world championships in Adage, South Korea, in August next year.

But the International Olympic Committee confirmed the 24-year-old would not be able to compete in London.

Under a rule adopted in Osaka, Japan, in 2008, any athlete suspended for more than six months is automatically banned from the next Olympics.

"Each case is of course different and subject to potential legal procedures,'' the IOC said in a statement.

"But the IOC's rules are clear, coming into force just before Beijing in July 2008.

"The Osaka rule states very clearly that any athlete sanctioned for more than six months will be banned from participation in the next edition of the games.

"This rule is still valid and applies to all athletes.''

Merritt, won the 400-metre Olympic title in Beijing, accepted a provisional suspension earlier this year and received a 21-month suspension from arbitrators today.

Merritt tested positive for testosterone prohormones three times between October 2009 and January 2010.

He cooperated with doping authorities, and arbitrators took three months off the standard two-year ban for first-time offenders.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/merritt-might-be-able-to-compete-in-2012-olympics/article1764438/

Merritt might be able to compete in 2012 Olympics
The Associated Press
Published Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2010 8:28PM EDT

LaShawn Merritt might be eligible for the 2012 Olympics after all.

On Tuesday, the International Olympic Committee said the defending Olympic champion in the 400 metres would be ineligible for the London Games because of an IOC rule that automatically disqualifies any athlete banned for more than six months.

But the arbitrators who banned him for 21 months refute that. In their decision Monday, they said that because the IOC agrees to follow the world anti-doping code, it must adhere to their decision, which says barring Merritt from the London Games would essentially extend his ban to three years and is not an “appropriate consequence of his anti-doping violation.”

Merritt is banned for using a prohibited substance found in an over-the-counter male enhancement product. He was given 21 months instead of the usual two-year suspension because he co-operated with authorities and was found to not have taken the drug to enhance athletic performance.

The suspension ends in July 2011, which would make him eligible to defend his world championship next year. But the IOC rule could prevent him from going for back-to-back Olympic gold in 2012.

In a statement Tuesday, the IOC said each case is different and subject to the relevant legal procedure.

“But the IOC's rules are clear, coming into force just before Beijing in July 2008. The Osaka rule states very clearly that any athlete sanctioned for more than six months will be banned from participation in the next edition of the games,” the statement said. “This rule is still valid and applies to all athletes.”

In its decision this week, the arbitration panel went so far as to say the IOC, not Merritt, has to appeal the case — and urged it to do so before the next Olympics get much closer.

Among the possible scenarios from here: Merritt could qualify at Olympic trials, then subsequently be told he's not allowed to compete at the Olympics, which could deprive another athlete the chance to compete for his spot. Or, the U.S. Olympic Committee or USA Track and Field could use the IOC rule as a reason to block Merritt from competing in trials altogether.

“Mr. Merritt should know where he stands in all aspects of his competitive career after the conclusion of this case, which would include appeals,” the panel's decision said. “His competitors in the United States should know. USATF and USOC should know. Delaying the final determination ... cheats athletes and sports organizations around the world.”

Merritt's attorney, Howard Jacobs, said the arbitration decision “is pretty clear and we will deal with any issues as they come up.”

“It seems to me the IOC is saying they have this rule but they recognize there are legal procedures that might come into play on a case-by-case basis,” Jacobs said. “I don't really want to start speculating on what they might be in LaShawn's specific case.”

USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky said the federation does not intend to contest the validity of the IOC rule.

When asked about the rule last week, David Howman, general director of the World Anti-Doping Agency, said it was outside the WADA code's jurisdiction.

“Some say it could be double jeopardy. It hasn't been worked through at any hearing yet,” Howman said. “Our position is pretty plain. It's not a sanction under the code. But it is an issue that needs to be resolved.”

U.S. Anti-Doping Agency CEO Travis Tygart did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press.

USADA asked the IOC to make itself party to the Merritt case but the IOC refused, saying the American Arbitration Association panel, whose services are provided for anti-doping cases involving U.S. athletes and USADA, did not have jurisdiction to make a decision about an IOC rule.

The arbitrators disagreed, and said the world anti-doping code gives the IOC the right to appeal their decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Merritt faces a similar scenario as American swimmer Jessica Hardy, who was forced out of the 2008 Olympics after testing positive for clenbuterol. She was found to have unknowingly taken the banned agent in a contaminated food supplement and her two-year suspension was reduced to one.

The IOC rule would bar her from the London Games, as well, and her status also remains in limbo.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum