PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Melanie now aims for back to back Burramines

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/gift-win-a-long-time-coming/2492113.aspx

Gift win a long time coming

By CHRIS MITCHELL
Border Mail
19 Mar, 2012

IT was sixth time lucky for Melbourne’s Fabrice Melanie on Saturday, with the veteran finally breaking through for a win in the Burramine Gift at J.C. Lowe Oval.

The 35-year-old from Noble Park put a season of near-misses behind him to win the $8000, 120-metre event, beating former winner Peter Walsh and Matt Hargreaves to the line in the 61st running of the race.

Running off a handicap of 9.25 metres, Melanie continued where he left off after winning his heat, getting off to a good start to clock 12.52 seconds and edge out Corio’s Walsh (12.544 seconds) and Tarneit’s Hargreaves (12.545) in a close finish.

Melanie, a finalist at Burramine in 2010, said he was relieved to win the event at his sixth successive attempt.

“Last night I said to a lot of people I’ll come back and try to win back-to-back,” he said yesterday.

“So I’ve got 12 months of training to do it.

“I want to be the fifth person to do it (consecutive wins).”

Melanie has enjoyed a consistent Victorian Athletic League season, making gift finals at Maryborough, Ballarat and Gippsland.

Part of Bruce Gulliver’s stable, Melanie entered Burramine in strong form after winning the 70 metres race at Noble Park three weeks ago.

“I got off to a flying start and that put me at ease,” he said.

“You can relax a little bit more and go on with it.

“I had a look at the photo finish and it was a clear win so I was happy with that.”

“I was relieved. I’ve been in three finals already this season.

“It was just good to take one out after making a lot of big finals.

“Yesterday was just my day I guess.

“I really like going there, Burramine,” he said.

“It’s a highly regarded event so it’s good to take it out.

“The location on the Murray is great, the track is always in good condition and the weather is great.

“The whole event is run really well.”

West Australian Tenneille Trigwell won the $1250 70 metres sprint and $1000 women’s gift (100 metres), while Carl Morehouse, of Chelsea Heights, won the 120 metres backmarkers.

More than 100 school children also competed, while the footballers relay was won by the boys team from St Monica’s College in Epping.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum