PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Very good article about what London means to an English athlete. Jenny Meadows has had her funding cut but is doing everything humanly possible to ensure she's in that 800m final on August 11th. If she doesn't make it to the 800m final, it won't be because of a lack of commitment.

http://au.eurosport.com/olympic-games/london-2012/2012/meadows-facing-fight_sto3257490/story.shtml

Meadows facing fight to be fit

Posted by Sportsbeat
eurosport.com.au
04/05/2012

Jenny Meadows has no clue on what she will be doing after 11th August 630463-10070023-640-360

There is only one date etched on the mind of Jenny Meadows, and the world and European bronze medallist's life is on hold until that day passes.

Meadows has been crossing off the days until the start of this summer's Olympics every evening in her diary, as she puts her all into reaching the home Games.

The 31-year-old, currently recovering from an Achilles tear that prevented her competing indoors this year, is refusing to look beyond a day in August, which she believes could see her fulfil a lifelong dream.

Meadows has already come out and stated that should her injury not properly clear up in time, and it was the last resort, she would take to the Olympic Stadium wearing trainers.

But, despite that, Meadows, who reached the semi-finals of the 800 metres at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, is certain she should be classed as one of Britain's medal hopes on the track this summer.

"The final of the women's 800m is on August 11 and I have not planned my life after that," said Meadows - who is SPAR UK's athletics ambassador.

"What happens on August 12 and onwards I've not a clue. It's very much been about London 2012 for a number of years now.

"I would have more of an idea of whether I can win a medal if I was actually running at the moment, but I am feeling very fit.

"I've always got data and stats that I look towards, and I can't tell whether I'm doing those at the moment. All I can gauge is that I'm shattered every evening, and can't wait to get back into my bed.

"I'm working really hard and if I don't have any problems, and can go forward with a smooth progression from the injury, I don't see why I can't be on the podium.

"First and foremost the aim is to get to the final. You can't win a medal unless you are in a final. If I am in that final, I will be wearing my heart on my sleeve and trying my very, very best."

Meadows, whose funding was cut by half earlier this year, is set to feature in the Diamond League series against athletes who are likely to be her rivals at the Olympics.

And the world and European bronze medallist is adamant her injury will not hold her back as she bids to reach peak condition and win one of three 800m places available to Britain for the Olympics.

"I'm training really hard two or three times a day and I have got a lot of training time left to put my final preparations together," added Meadows, who was welcomed to Wigan Athletic Football Club's training ground last month to share tips with manager Roberto Martinez. "I want to push myself on to get fitter than I have ever been before."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/athletics-news/2012/06/28/athletics-jenny-meadows-olympics-dream-hanging-by-a-thread-91466-31280997/#ixzz1z8OWcNyL

Athletics: Jenny Meadows Olympics dream hanging by a thread

AAP
walesonline.co.uk
Jun 28 2012

Jenny Meadows today admitted she would appeal if she is left out of Britain’s Olympic team when it is named next Tuesday – despite not having raced once this year.

Meadows, who won bronze in the 800 metres at the World Championships in Berlin in 2009, had hoped to prove her fitness and even win a medal at the European Championships in Helsinki, but withdrew before tonight’s semi-finals after suffering a reaction to her Achilles injury on the flight to Finland.

The 31-year-old remains optimistic that her previous championship record will be enough to gain selection, with all three places still potentially up for grabs depending on results in Helsinki.

But if the UK Athletics selection panel decide past form is outweighed by their commitment not to select any athlete “who it has good reason to think will be uncompetitive at the Games due to...injury, illness or lack of recent form,” then Meadows would appeal.

“I would appeal, you’ve got to do everything,” Meadows said. “It’s the Olympic Games, it’s not a hobby, it’s not a profession, it’s literally my life.

“I’ve been an unhappy person for six months. Every day I wake up and I don’t want to be in this situation. You pray for a miracle but the only thing you can control is how hard you work that day.

“I’ve put myself through the unbelievable stress and strenuous training for just one reason, and that’s to compete in Stratford.

“I would be absolutely devastated (to miss out). When I pulled out yesterday Charles (van Commenee) was surprised there were no tears, but I said I’ve got none left.

“I guess I would definitely find some, but knowing my gutsy personality and determination I would be out to prove myself the best British athlete by the end of the season and say ’Look what I could have done.”’

The good news for Meadows is that Marilyn Okoro and Emma Jackson, who could have sealed an Olympic place by finishing in the top two at the weekend’s trials, were fifth and seventh.

Lynsey Sharp and Jemma Simpson, who were first and second in Birmingham respectively, could now claim those two places by recording the ’A’ standard of one minute 59.90 seconds in Helsinki, but whatever happens there will be at least one spot up for grabs.

Meadows would be willing to undergo tests to prove her fitness and actually insists she is “incredibly fit” thanks to a punishing training regime including time in a hyperbaric chamber and long sessions on a bike in her garage, but is paying the price for pushing too hard and running an 800m time trial in two minutes last week.

“The protocol was never to make the trials or get a race in before selection, they told me that wasn’t possible,” she added. “But I passed every test with flying colours so I pushed myself and took risks because I had no choice and I thought I had played an absolute blinder to be honest.

“Ten days ago I did an 800m time trial which I wish someone had filmed, but there were just schoolkids at a sportsday watching me. I ran 2:00.8 in just the fourth time I put spikes on and it was a really good session. I thought I would have more later that week and thought I could win a medal here.

“I would run on one leg if asked and if I didn’t have the evidence of the last few weeks maybe I would have, but I’m not prepared to be an also-ran, I’ve been that sort of athlete in the past.”

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Anonymous

Meadows not selected. hasn't run since Daegu WC. gunna appeal, but dont like her chances. think JM will be sitting in the stands on August 11.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum