PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Problems in SA
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptyYesterday at 8:21 pm by getting2old4this

» The 2019 NOOSA GIFT ENTRIES CLOSE TODAY !!
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 12:37 pm by NoosaGift

» Hastings Results
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm by JH

» Hastings handicaps
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 8:12 am by Boomba

» Hastings Women's Gift
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 2:39 pm by Laughing stock

» Month of December Handicap penalties
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 1:50 pm by Laughing stock

» Hastings Gift
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptyThu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 pm by XXL

» Noosa Gift Entries close this coming Monday 18th Nov
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptyWed Nov 13, 2019 2:40 pm by NoosaGift

» Kensington handicaps - 2019
Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside EmptyTue Nov 12, 2019 7:22 am by TheFatLady

November 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside

Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/06/18/olympics-sprint-hero-allan-wells-says-young-scots-lack-drive-86908-23897870/

Olympics sprint hero Allan Wells says young Scots lack drive

By Neil Pooran
dailyrecord.co.uk
Jun 18 2012

Allan Wells says today's" couch potato kids" need a kick up the backside Allan-wells-image-2-235427698

OLYMPIC hero Allan Wells reckons Scotland’s couch potato kids need a “kick up the backside”.

Wells – who won 100m gold at the 1980 Moscow Games – hopes London 2012 will spur young people into action.

The Surrey-based Scot spoke out as he unveiled a plaque in Edinburgh to commemorate the coaching he got in the city.

Wells, 60, who carried the Olympic Torch last week, said: “They say that the British are the most obese in Europe. I think people live in the comfort zone too much in Scotland.

“Athletics might not be the coolest because it’s committed, physical and people don’t like sweating. But it’s for people who want to test themselves.

“It’s all about commitment, inspiration, stimulation. I look at kids nowadays and it just seems they don’t know where they are going.

“They seem empty inside and I am saying, ‘Where is the stimulation?’

“In some ways, these Olympics gives youngsters a chance – it can be a catalyst for them.

“It would be stupid to miss the opportunity.

“It’s about giving them assistance – you could call it a kick up the backside.

“Kids can sometimes be a bit naive and it’s a problem that sport is competing with so many social things.

“But when they see an Olympic gold medal in London, it might make them sit up and think it’s worth a go.”

A recent survey found Scotland and the US had child obesity levels at a 35 per cent.

http://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum