PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Recognising a great coach is not rocket science EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recognising a great coach is not rocket science

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

For those of us who have a 'LinkedIn' account, there's a group relating to track & field that often has some interesting discussion about a range of matters relating to athletics. Often the discussion threads are based on USA college  & high school issues. But there are several threads that are training related or have a general all-round theme.

One of the regular contributers is a guy named Robert Marchetti. He recently wrote the following:

"I want to chime in with one more point here. If Jerome Robinson is reading he can probaby back me up on this.

I talk to coaches all the time. We talk track. One of the things that irks me is not recognizing greatness in methodology no matter what areas. When I was in my 20s I used to train at Princeton University in the off seasonn with a group of athetes led by Norm Tate, who was coaching a club there. Jerome was in the group, and so were a group of world level runners.

The group atmosphere there was immense. The way Tate pushed buttons was brilliant. Jack Pierce was in that group, he won a bronze medal in the Olympics about 2 yr later.

I often talk to coaches and some will say "Oh Tate doesn't know enough about this or that, he's not science based" blah bah blah.....

Jack Pierce ran 12.94 in hurdles. So I always ask them, "how much faster should he have run if the coach 'knew what he was doing?' Should it have been 12.23? 12.22?" That's ridicuous. He was a bronze medalist. He went from being a 13.3 hurder to 12.9.

People in this sport don't understand sometimes how important it is to be an intense coach and have the desire to will athletes to push. Norm Tate is a great coach. GREAT. I learned more about coaching watching that guy run a practice than any book I have ever read.

You can run around the country going to every seminar that every coach does, and read all the literature you want. You are getting 50 percent of it. The other half is intensity. Accountability. Sometimes frankly, kids will be ticked off at you. If you are in it to be popular at all times, it's time to rethink. You are not doing the job if you don't create an atmosphere of respect and integrity. You have to deal with egos in runners who sometimes have larger than life ones.If that means upsetting the apple cart, then that's what it takes."

Often I hear how a coach is flawed because he is old school; he lacks a scientific approach or is not up with the latest cutting edge methodology. Yet when the results of the 'old school coach are significantly better than rival squads, the argument then turns to - "yes, but his athletes would achieve those results with any coach". A dumb comment often made out of frustration & jealousy.

Like Robert says, people in this sport do not understand the (many) other factors related to coaching including the intensity & determination of the coach to drive the athletes to the success.

There's a lot more to coaching than simply adopting a program designed in a sports science laboratory or copied from a text book. There's many intangibles that will never be covered properly in a text and can only be gleaned from experience.

It is funny that those who do tend to criticise a coach for lacking a sports science based program have generally never had the success of those they criticise.....And never will, until they can replicate the desire, determination & intensity that is exercised by the 'old school' coach.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Admin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Anonymous

Love it!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum