PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)  EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Athlete banned for lead sewn in his spikes (1955 article)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Looking up some old pro running news and found this rather interesting article. I'd heard the lead in the shoes story before but never knew anyone had actually done it.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/71781915?searchTerm=professional running trainer&searchLimits=

The Runner who Wept

By, RON CARTER
The Argus
24 November 1955

Len Decker cried himself to sleep the night he was warned off for five years by professional running stewards at Maribyrnong three weeks ago, a trainer said yesterday.

Ray Bolam, who trained Decker last season, told this to a Victorian Athletic League council meeting.

"Decker is a good, boy, but he overrated himself as a sprinter," Bolam said.

"When I was his trainer, I told him he would be lucky to win a gift."

Warned off
Decker was warned off all professional running courses after stewards found nearly half a pound of lead sewn into each of his running spikes.

Bolam was called before the V.A.L. meeting to answer allegations that he was Decker's trainer at the time of his disqualification. Bolam denied the allegations, and signed a sworn declaration that he was not Decker's trainer this season.

Although Bolam admitted he drove Decker to the track, he said he knew nothing of the lead in the spikes.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Anonymous

Hi there.

Len Decker is my grand father who passed away in 1996. Sad story indeed. The trainer however had a lot more to do with it then he lead on. Ive got Len's spikes in my room.

Anonymous

Hi JPORTER

With trainers like this Bolam guy for a friend, who needs enemies!

You still have those spikes? Do they have lead inserts or any evidence lead has been in them?

Be a great collectors item for the Stawell HOF.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum