PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Crieff (Scotland)
Yesterday at 2:23 pm by JH

» Stirling (Scotland)
Yesterday at 2:20 pm by JH

» Perth (Scotland)
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:36 pm by JH

» Bridge of Allan (Scotland)
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 am by JH

» Inverkeithing (Scotland)
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am by JH

» St. Andrews (Scotland)
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 pm by JH

» Somerset Gift RESULTS - Saturday 21/7/18
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:37 am by Admin

» Mull (Scotland)
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:15 pm by JH

» Stable Changes Happening?
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:10 am by racingmania

August 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand?

Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1 Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Mex

We are roughly half way through the season and have seen a number of athletes show their cards by taking a win and a healthy bonus for the Stawell carnival. If we were to create a final from those who have taken a bonus, who would be a part of our first draft?

The winners so far have been - Rizzo, Woodgate, MacGibbon, Keast, Hilson, Coates, Sonsini, Despard and Baird.

Rizzo - Rizzo is a quality athlete. He has an electric start and if he can do this in the final this year he will give himself every chance of winning. Off a mark of 4.5m he will run somewhere in the 12.23 range if he does not have more up his sleeve. If he can find a little then we could see something very special this Easter indeed.

Woodgate - I was a little surprised to see Woodgate take an early win. I had thought one of his stable mates to have a better chance. Sitting on 7.25m for Stawell he has a good mark but can he also improve enough? His winning time at Terang is not a good guide as that give him a chance at running a 12.7 off his new mark. I think he has a little more than that in the tank. Keep watching his stable mates, are they trying to win or trialing against others going for a bonus.

MacGibbon - Nick took a win last season and tried his luck but was not up to it. He is another who surprised me a little in taking an early win. I thought he may do like many before him and rebuild a year or two first. I don't have him improving enough to win based on him having a go last season.

Keast - Keast took a good win at Ararat and moves to 9.75m and a big chance to make a final. He is dangerous out in front and if he can control the nerves of having guys chase him down he could be an interesting prospect.

Hilson - When you can run a good 400m you can generally run out a 120m. Does he have enough speed to take this one out? I feel that f he were to line up against Woodgate, MacGibbon, Sonsini or Baird in a semi final who will all have essentially the same mark that he may struggle.

Coates - We can put a line through Coates straight away. She will not be able to make a final at Stawell off 10m. She would need to improve her 100m pb to 11 or 11.10 to be a chance and then replicate it on grass and maintain this for the extra 10m metres which I do not think she will do.

Sonsini - There was a whisper about Sonsini last season and then he took a bonus. He met Rizzo in a semi and we know how that went. Has he improved enough to mount a challenge. He is a nice looking runner and would be very interesting to see him in the big dance.

Despard - Despard has given himself a sniff but he needs to run a little better. How much can he improve by simply running on a good track. St Albans has not produced a good track for a while and is lucky that the times continue to be quick due to the downhill nature of the back end of the gift track. Let's play it safe and say that on a good track he is a metre better off. That puts him in 12.2 range and a chance.

Baird - Baird is another good looking runner who will start off 7.25m. He can make the final. The Castlemaine track is quick and I feel that Stawell is similar in that its preparation is great. I have him in the 12.2 range already and I am sure he will find a little more.

So from these runners I have the following Stawell gift final.

Red - Despard 4.5m
White - Rizzo 4.5m
Blue - Baird 7.25m
Yellow - Sonsini 7.25m
Green - Woodgate 7.25m
Pink - Keast 9.75m

That leaves MacGibbon, Hilson and Coates missing out based on current knowledge about times and a gut feel.

Obviously there will be others win throughout the season and obviously there may be a smokey who is already running the times and wants to sting the bookies rather than show their form. This list is just from the current recipients of the bonus.

2 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 am

Baltimore Jack

Woodgate's time at Terang is irrelevant. Heavy rain and blustering wind, lush track made it slow.
Woodgate took the win to save himself a lot of money. Eschebach has spent five times more than Woodgate and still has 6.5 because he hasn't been able to win.
also Woodgate started off more than he should have because he ran 12.35 at Stawell off 6.25. Net time was 12.45 early in the season. He should have about 5.5. So he was smart enough to realise he had a generous mark and has locked in 7.25 at Stawell.
If he improves a metre on last year he breaks 12.2.

3 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 pm

El Chapo Guzman

James Woodgate ran 12.46 in his heat and 12.67 at Stawell last season from his 6.25m handicap. So without improvement he has the potential to run in the 12.35 range.
Tim Eschebach knows the value of spending some coin. Has 2 x Stawell Gift finals and 200m sash to show for it. He also has the potential to be coming home with another Stawell sash in 2018, but not in the Gift.
Would love to see Brendan Matthews sitting in front of the Gift winning finalists above off 7.5m if he wins this Friday after being in his last of 3 finals in 2015 running 12.34 on a wet track.
Add Browne off 6.25m and Wyllie off 9.50m if they both win the Gift bonuses this weekend.

4 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:36 pm

GLPR

campbell will be there again if fit 12.43 last season so no pull
phelan 12.47 last weekend and 12.37 at stawell last season in mix again too

5 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:37 pm

El Chapo Guzman

4th - 6th place in the Stawell final all incur a 1/4m penalty on top of sample times the following season. So Campbell comes back a small margin.
Phelan best handicapped Vic on multiple sub 12.45 runs last season from 9.75m.

6 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 pm

timrosen35

Turns 43 this year El Chapo. And has a red hot crack every single time he races. Give me a spell best handicapped!

7 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:27 pm

El Chapo Guzman

Key word is handicapped Tim. So regardless of age everyone has the opportunity to be competitive from one’s hcp is paramount.
The fact that Leigh has a red hot crack each time he competes means he’s thereabouts in the big Gifts.
2nd place in 12.47 on the weekend suggests age is no barrier, nor should it be. btw most runners just like you are running at 100% intensity each race correct?

8 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:36 pm

timrosen35

You implying I don’t?
Anyway, happy to discuss when you log in under your real name. Pretty easy to make comments anonymously Smile

9 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Toolman

I don’t think El Chapo Guzman is implying Leigh or yourself don’t have a crack every time you run Tim. Leigh is one bloke that I don’t think anybody could say he isn’t having a crack. In regards to best handicapped Vic El Chapo is entitled to his opinion but I think from 10m he will probably come up short again if he is having another Stawell tilt. Wouldn’t be surprised if he picks up a decent win a little earlier.

10 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

El Chapo Guzman

I was actually complementing you. 95% of registered user names on the forum are an alias. Most of us still enjoy giving an informed opinion just like I have, which is factual not innuendo.

11 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 am

untouchables

I think i know, he will be wearing pink. that's all i can say.

12 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:37 pm

YETI

Interesting Stawell Gift Final Prediction Mex:

However personally the final will be: Based off athlete's that have received lifts

Red - Despard
White - Rizzo
Blue - MacGibon
Yellow -Matthews
Green -Wyllie
Pink - Keast

This years final is very open. Exciting weeks ahead.

13 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Mex

I like Matthews in the final. I am not sure that he ever really came back from being in the final previously and now has a lift as well. Big chance. Wyllie also a good chance. I don't have MacGibbon though.

14 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 pm

YETI

Mex wrote:I like Matthews in the final. I am not sure that he ever really came back from being in the final previously and now has a lift as well. Big chance. Wyllie also a good chance. I don't have MacGibbon though.

Not wrong Mex. Matthews never fully bounced back from his 2015 final appearance, however this could be the year he does and goodluck to him. Strange about MacGibbon, I reckon he is a quality athlete and if he can improve on his technique and execute his race plan. There is most certainly a final spot there for his taking. However don't believe he has the ability to take it out. What athlete's are you starting to back?

There are a few athletes playing the game and the most open stawell this time around. But no one has really come out and showed their cards early. However there will be an interstate athlete that will lay down his hand come easter monday Shocked .

15 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm

auspro

That's a nice list 12.30 runners. Despard the only 1 that is improving enough to give it a shake. Good year for a smokie to run 12.20 ftw

16 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:12 pm

YETI

auspro wrote:That's a nice list 12.30 runners. Despard the only 1 that is improving enough to give it a shake. Good year for a smokie to run 12.20 ftw

Auspro you must be delusional if you believe despard is the only athlete that will give it a shake. Don't get me wrong the kid has pure ability, but will only final at best. There are a few athletes i would put before him:| .

17 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:38 am

auspro

Delusional enough to think a 12.40 at st albans is worth a few

18 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:04 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
I think the Stawell lift bonus is a bit of smoke and mirrors. Anyone chasing the lift probably doesn’t have enough even with the lift. The Stawell Gift winner generally has enough handicap in the bank to win comfortably.
The last time the gift was run without the Stawell lift bonus incentive in place (2015), Murray Goodwin won. He ran off 0.50m less than he ran off at Ararat due to suspect performance. He won comfortably.
2016 Dunmall beat Sanderson-Millera by a small margin. They were comfortably clear of Hale. Dunmall went under the radar all year and got some handicap back after winning Stonnington the previous season. Sanderson-Milera copped a 0.50m penalty for a fast 200m time (I think).
2017 Rizzo got the 1 metre bonus for winning Northcote Gift but end up winning by much more than the 1 metre, proving he didn’t need it.

I think the bonus lift is good for someone who wants to just make the final. That for many athletes would be the highlight of their career (especially young athletes these days who just want to get on the TV and get their 5 minutes of fame).

19 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:36 am

YETI

Totally agree with you Ribera. The Stawell bonus lift system is most certainly a hit & miss.

It's one of those grey areas where you either love it or hate it. Last 2 years showing that it doesn't always mean athlete's that receive the bonus go on to make the Stawell Final. Like you said most athlete use it to just make a final and they are happy with that.

20 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:17 pm

braveheart

out of the guys who have taken the bonus for Stawell so far, I think Matthews will go pretty close off 7.50. Looked good on the weekend at Maribyrnong

21 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 pm

YETI

braveheart wrote:out of the guys who have taken the bonus for Stawell so far, I think Matthews will go pretty close off 7.50. Looked good on the weekend at Maribyrnong

I would be jumping on Matthews and Keast as soon as sportsbet opens up. Could make some serious money Razz

22 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 am

Nothing at all

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Despard ran 10.7 electric recently. Off 4.5m, he is going to have to move quicker than that if he is to shake things up. I agree, he can make a final but I would be very suprised if he finishes in the top 2. Hope he proves me wrong as i would love to see a run off 4.5m win it. The only others who have taken a bonus who i think can make a final are Woodgate, Rizzo and Matthews. The rest of the bonus winners are kidding themselves as they would not be able to beat Rizzo off the marks.

I do think this year is proving to be very wide open, hence why Rizzo is still a chance to go back to back. Can Rizzo give Woodgate 2.75m? I'm not quite sure he can. I do think Woodgate is the one to beat at the moment. So far however, no one has come out and smashed the field and made a statement. Could be a very tight Stawell Gift Final! #notlongnow

23 Mr Handicapper is there a mistake on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Dragon Walrus

I believe maybe there are more people to come that might have a crack, Despard, Matthews, and Keast all in the mix, but I believe the biggest discrepancy is Rizzo's Mark.

Rizzo current season start mark is wrong,

2016 Northcote gift win off 5.5m (6.5 120m) min pull from that is .5, 1m bonus for Stawell

2017 Stawell gift win off 7.5m min pull for Stawell is 3m, also runs 2m under ceiling time of 12.24

Now my understanding is you get pulled from your original mark, not from your bonus mark, so in saying that,

after 2016 Northcote win his handicap get a min pull .5 back to 6m, he then wins Stawell gets the min pull of 3m,
so handicap goes back to 3m for a 120m (and that doesn't include a pull for running under time)

He starts the season off at sandy and run off 3m (3.5m 120m) and wins another bonus 1m.

Tell me im wrong, but shouldn't he run off sandy off 2.5m or less for running under time at stawell.

His mark should be at least 1.5m for the 120m and run off stawell with 1m bonus off 2.5m.

Now that makes it alot harder to go back to back. Dont get me wrong i like the bloke, but rules are rules and others had the appropriate handicap adjustments after last season. Good luck with that Mr Handicapper.

24 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm

timrosen35

Let me clarify something for you Dragon Walrus. Firstly let’s correct your facts. Matt Rizzo ran 12.10 at Stawell. If an athlete runs a 12.10 let’s say off 7.5 as he did, then it doesn’t mean they have broken ceiling time off 6m too. Ceiling time is an RPM calculation. So 12.10 off 7.5 would be approx 12.25 off 6m (his actual mark as you pointed out once penalty’s and Stawell bonus are taken out). So there would be no additional pull for ceiling time. Argue other points if you choose, but at least get the ceiling time facts right. No idea how you came up with 1.5m as a start mark.
Matt will have to win Stawell off 3m less this year if he is to do so. So it’ll still be a tough ask. Maybe that should’ve been 3.5m less according to the rules but oh well. He turned up on the mark he was given and ran. But to say he should’ve been off 1.5m is ludicrous.

For the record I have no vested interest in Matt.

25 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Dragon Walrus

Hey, Tim, pretty sure current runners handicaps have been adjusted off there fastest rpms and held for 5 years, and each year they come back to that start mark. I know a few, his rpm at Stawell doesn't get adjusted off 6.5, it should be adjusted off 7.5, my 1.5 was his discrepancy pull of 1.5m for running under ceiling time.

but that's the thing, no pull for Northcote win, or running under time, and we all know handicappers are using a lot of discrepancy with nap's etc at the moment.

He Runs off what he is given, still doesn't mean its right, rules need to be abided by.

26 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:26 pm

timrosen35

What I am saying is by all means argue he should have had 0.5 less due to Northcote penalty not being there, but under the current rules he did not break ceiling time. The “breaking of ceiling time” off 7.5 would take him back to the 6m he already had. If that makes sense. Hopefully it does Smile

27 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Nothing at all

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I think most people agree that Rizzo should have come back further than he did. Does the handicapper have the courage though to fix the error. Rizzo has done nothing wrong! He's run off the mark he was given. To put it into perspective Rizzo wins Stawell and Northcote and comes back 4m. Compare the pair. . . When Houlihan came second to Goodwin, he came back 3m the following season??? Also just from memory I think Brendan Matthews came 3rd in that final off 6.75m. Now has 7.5m. Could he emulate the great Chris Tuohy!!! Anyhow poor old Houlihan still on 5.25m when he ran off 7.25m to finish second. Shows you the massive consequence of coming second in a Stawell Gift!!! Worst place to finish!!!

In conclusion Rizzo started the season off the wrong mark!

28 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am

WhataboutmeMrHandicapper

Why are there different handicaps for different Stawell Gift results? One year an athlete runs 3rd, he gets pulled 1.5, another guy runs 3rd and he hardly gets pulled at all. Matthews ran 3rd off 6.75 only 2 Stawells back and by Marbyrnong he had his mark back.
Houlihan, runs every second week in Victoria, beat Matthews hardly runs in Vic and made 3 Stawell finals, by 1 metre in 2015. Now meets him 2.75 worse off? I just don't get it.
If you are thinking it's wide open you are delusional. Very few chances to win.
Plenty for 4th, 5th 6th.
Matthews has a PB of 10.69 to go with it. Matthews off 7.5 will finish in the top two at Stawell. Probably with Rizzo.
The only other contender is whoever from the Vikings. Delahunty, Gilfillan someone like that.

29 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:23 pm

untouchables

My picks at this stage for the women's 120m

Amie Mittiga

Gabriella Boulton

Laura Downie

Ebony Lane

Adelaide Robertson

Hanna Lindstrom

Sienna Fighera

Olivia Russo

Stephanie Richards

Holly Dobbyn

Laura Jane Hilditch

Tara Domaschenz

Sophia Fighera

Kate Jones

Anna Pasquali

Lauren Keating

30 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:39 pm

auspro

For Mathews to get 7.5m is a long shot given he hits his ceiling at 10.86 (or 10.76 with 0.1 for rubber)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum