PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Crieff (Scotland)
Yesterday at 2:23 pm by JH

» Stirling (Scotland)
Yesterday at 2:20 pm by JH

» Perth (Scotland)
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:36 pm by JH

» Bridge of Allan (Scotland)
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 am by JH

» Inverkeithing (Scotland)
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am by JH

» St. Andrews (Scotland)
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 pm by JH

» Somerset Gift RESULTS - Saturday 21/7/18
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:37 am by Admin

» Mull (Scotland)
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:15 pm by JH

» Stable Changes Happening?
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:10 am by racingmania

August 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand?

Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

151 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:09 am

Yeca

Rizzo the man to beat at this stage. Despard the next best bet. Any word on Devon Allen yet?

152 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:16 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Finegan certainly doesn't worry about trying to keep it low key does he?

I gather the Brisbane Track Classic was an event spectators paid to watch and there might have been athletes who nominated and were willing to run the race out to its conclusion but were squeezed out of the field. If that's the case I reckon he should not have run.

But I guess he trains alone most of the time.

So it seems he's  relished the opportunity to get two trials over 60m and 140m (in the 200m) against quality opposition, before he goes into a traditional Tom Tellez 10 day taper for Stawell.

As Gerard Keating indicated last night on twitter, Gary Finegan dances to the beat of a different drum.

The anticipation to see what Finegan will do this far out from Easter is almost unprecedented and certainly adding to the excitement.

BTW - Devon Allen confirmed and will run from 1.0m.

153 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 am

thecrimsonflash

11.7 on rubber from Phelan is a Stawell Gift winning trial. If he can bring it on Easter Monday he won’t be beaten.
Devon Allen is a huge in! I think he will shock a few, his run in Sydney was special.

154 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 am

Yeca

Where do you guys all rate Allen from 1.00m? Surely could be the favorite now being 1.00m up on Ross.

155 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 am

YETI

Yeca wrote:Where do you guys all rate Allen from 1.00m? Surely could be the favorite now being 1.00m up on Ross.

Handicaps:
Ross- 1.5m
Allen- 1m

Don't believe Allen will be that dangerous off 1m. Stawell is a different ball game compared to 100m on rubber.

156 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 am

Yeca

I can tell you that he looked phenomenal in Devonport! Don’t doubt this guy. There’s more to come with that 10.26 in still conditions. He has 10.10 potential.

157 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:25 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
It would be hard to split Rizzo, Finegan, Despard, Allen for favorite. On the next line throw in Whylie, Gilfillan, Delahunty, Matthews, Woodgate.
All these anywhere from 4/1 to 8/1?

158 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:33 pm

OldandSlow

@thecrimsonflash - I'm not too sure where you get your 11.7 info from on Phelan but keep in mind he apparently broke his leg just before Stawell last year conveniently on April 1st and according to the Herald Sun on Easter Monday was a Cat Behavioural Scientist and a Part time Wizard.

I think you may find your leg is getting pulled again!

159 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
OldandSlow wrote:@thecrimsonflash - I'm not too sure where you get your 11.7 info from on Phelan but keep in mind he apparently broke his leg just before Stawell last year conveniently on April 1st and according to the Herald Sun on Easter Monday was a Cat Behavioural Scientist and a Part time Wizard.

I think you may find your leg is getting pulled again!

No doubt there's a lot of respect for 43yo Leigh Phelan being so competitive off 10.0m and nearly making the Stawell Gift final last year, but if you believe he, fair dinkum ran 11.7 (4yds inside evens) off 10m in a 120m trial, then I've got ringside tickets to the Horne/Crawford fight for sale at half price on Viagogo.

And as much as Phelan will be competitive to semi final stage.........Given the quality that's around this year, he's got as much chance of winning the Stawell Gift as I have of getting all three judges to turn around on the Voice with a rendition of Yankee Doodle Dandy.

it's a No from me.

160 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:27 pm

timrosen35

Youngy! ‪Writing off a guy who missed in a dip last year...Put your money where your mouth is Wink If Leigh finals at Stawell, you have to go on one of the singing reality tv shows and sing my song of choice. Deal? ‬

161 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Yeca

What about if Phelan doesn’t final? Will you perform a stand up routine at the gift hotel? Sounds like a deal Youngy.

162 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:21 pm

auspro

Garaunteeing anyone a spot in Stawell final is a catastrophic mistake on you behalf, Tim.

163 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:35 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
My view is Leigh Phelan won't be in the six fastest athletes at Stawell; that is based on time recorded off their marks.

But that doesn't mean he won't final - just makes it highly unlikely.

We have seen Stawell Gift finals before where at least one athlete has snuck in because of a favourable semi draw and the more favoured athlete in that semi has failed to reproduce their heat run.

Meanwhile in other semi finals, the placegetters have recorded a time that would have got them into the final had they enjoyed a more favourable semi draw.

The relevant fact is, despite being an outstanding athlete for his age, Phelan is incapable of running 11.7 off 10.0m without a jet engine behind the blocks blowing a cyclone up his lane. And perhaps the person who clocked it (if there was one at all) needs to sort out the arthritic finger.

164 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:45 pm

timrosen35

Auspro I didn’t guarantee anything! I never even said he’d make it haha where are you plucking that from. I just said Youngy has to sing on a reality show if he does, Cos he guaranteed he wouldn’t make it!

165 Re: Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand? on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:48 pm

timrosen35

Maybe the time trial was over 100m Youngy? Haha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum