PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cupar (Scotland)
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:57 pm by JH

» Selkirk (Scotland) Borders
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 am by JH

» Hawick ( Borders) Scotland
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 pm by JH

» Earlston (Borders Scotland)
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:15 am by JH

» Markinch Results
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 am by JH

» Stathmore (Scotland)
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:03 am by JH

» Helensburgh (Scotland)
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:22 am by JH

» Markinch Scotland.
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 pm by JH

» 2018 City of Edinburgh Running Festival
Tue May 29, 2018 5:56 pm by mwebster

June 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Bendigo gift

Bendigo gift

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Who wins Bendigo?

0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 1 ]
5% 5% [ 11 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 1 ]
1% 1% [ 3 ]
1% 1% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 2 ]
1% 1% [ 3 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
7% 7% [ 16 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
2% 2% [ 4 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
3% 3% [ 8 ]
13% 13% [ 31 ]
0% 0% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 1 ]
2% 2% [ 5 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
3% 3% [ 6 ]
5% 5% [ 11 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 1 ]
3% 3% [ 6 ]
1% 1% [ 3 ]
8% 8% [ 18 ]
1% 1% [ 2 ]
1% 1% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
6% 6% [ 14 ]
1% 1% [ 3 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
4% 4% [ 9 ]
15% 15% [ 36 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
2% 2% [ 4 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
3% 3% [ 6 ]
10% 10% [ 24 ]
0% 0% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 238

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Bendigo gift on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Mex

Firstly let me say that Doncaster was a huge success. I was not going to write anything for a while but due to numerous messages I have decided that for now I will continue. Phelan showed some class last week and took the win from Kim Kardashian who probably should have won. Marks are marks and all I tell my athletes is to run off what you are given and hopefully when we peak you are thereabouts. Small handicap or large makes no difference to whether or not you deserve to win, our sport is based on everyone being competitive. I will leave it at that.

Bendigo is one of the time honoured gifts on our calendar. As Youngy shared in another thread we have seen some quality runs, when Ireland won he would have had to make the choice to take Bendigo over a chance at Stawell which he may very well have been competitive in. To run 12.14sec and not win is tough to take. In more recent times, Spencer ran super quick here and I have waited for him to recapture that form. One thing is for sure, the track is quick, times are too and a good mix of handicaps usually make the final. I know who I would like to win but I feel that they are off the pace this year. A certain stable has up to 5 chances at the final and I think one will be set for this weekend.
Who do you like.

2 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 am

XXL

Mex could we trouble you to do a poll for the Black Opal?

Meanwhile my tips:
Whittaker
Lugo
Punchihewa
Woodhams
Rooke
Eschebach

3 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:25 am

YETI

Bendigo is always a highlight on the VAL calendar. We saw Romanin salute and take Bendigo out in a slick time last year. Which he went on to make the Stawell final Shocked
Final:
Carter
Houlihan
Eschebach
Rooke
Burleigh
Lugo

Winner: Rooke

4 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:19 am

Trackstar

YETI wrote:Bendigo is always a highlight on the VAL calendar. We saw Romanin salute and take Bendigo out in a slick time last year. Which he went on to make the Stawell final Shocked
Final:
Carter
Houlihan
Eschebach
Rooke
Burleigh
Lugo

Winner: Rooke

Is this the same Tim Rooke from Avondale Heights? Would be a huge improvement in 2 weeks to win Bendigo.

HEAT 5
1 Yellow 8928 Joshua Tiu 9.25 13.632 13.447 Completed
2 Red 8157 THOMAS MOLONEY 6.50 13.637 13.452 Completed
3 Blue 3321 Matthew Eddy 8.50 13.776 13.591 Completed
4 Black 6556 Tim Rooke 6.75 14.023 13.838 Completed
5 Green 3068 Jack Doderico 8.50 14.327 14.142 Break
9999 White 4338 Isaac Buratto 7.50 0 0 Scratched
9999 Pink 9636 Matt Jones 11.00 0 0 Scratched

5 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 am

Nothing at all

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Also if you compare is Don run with his gift run on the same day, if you adjust for handicap, it takes him roughly 6.4 seconds to cover the last 50m of the 120m ???

6 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:51 am

FortySevenThirty

Nothing at all wrote:Also if you compare is Don run with his gift run on the same day, if you adjust for handicap, it takes him roughly 6.4 seconds to cover the last 50m of the 120m ???

Nothing to see here Nothing at All. Reward that run with a tick and a lift. He obviously needs it.

7 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 am

Trackstar

FortySevenThirty wrote:
Nothing at all wrote:Also if you compare is Don run with his gift run on the same day, if you adjust for handicap, it takes him roughly 6.4 seconds to cover the last 50m of the 120m ???

Nothing to see here Nothing at All. Reward that run with a tick and a lift. He obviously needs it.

lol!
Give the man a gold star. Cracking comment! Stewards got their man at Avondale - that dodgey Green chap. NAPped him!
Obvious to everyone Rooke deserved tick for that 120 heat run. Stewards know their stuff. Well played chaps.

8 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:22 am

Willo the Whisp

He hit a major pothole in that run when he was in the black lane and it ruined that run completely making that run an automatic NAP. FYI - It actually also aggravated a pre existing knee injury that has been troubling him and he contemplated not even starting in the Don later that day. He made reference to this at his presentation later that night if you bothered to listen and if were observant you would have also noticed the amount of massage work to keep the knee warm was beyond extensive that night. His recent MRI results have shown 2 inflamed cysts on his anterior cruciate. If the knee gets cold or has long breaks between runs it locks up on him.

9 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:08 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Very interesting to see SA athlete Liam Moss entered for Bendigo. He recorded a 100m PB of 10.78sec on Saturday. He easily beat Sebastian Baird who won the Loxton Gift last week.

I wouldn't think the PB would affect his mark. So off 5.50m he's a chance to final if he can reproduce that sort of form at Bendigo; although Moss doesn't seem to run as well on grass under handicap conditions than he does in amateur comps.

He does have an ASA team based competition scheduled on Friday night, It's the second round of the new "Synergy" series so I expect him to be turning out for his team in the 200m on Friday night. Whether that prevents him from running at Bendigo, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

ASA 100m. Saturday 3rd March 2018 Wind: +0.9
Place Athlete Club Result
1 Harrison Hunt WD 10.73
2 Liam Moss PEM 10.78
3 Sebastian Baird PA 10.96
4 Max Hagicostas WD 10.99
5 Alexander Chan SAIN 11.09
6 Calum Scrivens PA 11.37
7 Angus Brock SAIN 11.98
8 Sam Thomas PEM 12.20

10 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:44 pm

auspro

looking at 2 favourites, and correct me if im missing something but Woodhams should hit Lugo around the 70m mark?

Lugo 7.70 (6m) geelong
Woodhams 7.48 (5m) Flag

roughly 0.3s between them over 70m and 3m between HC's (7.75m & 10.75m)

11 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Elmer Fudd

depends if Lugo gets on the piss.

12 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Thatsthestats

Elmer Fudd wrote:depends if Lugo gets on the piss.

Don’t worry about Lugo getting on the piss Elmer. We all know pot hole avoidance and a damn good massage will go a long way to deciding the winner of this one. Rolling Eyes

13 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm

XXL

Lugo’s form has slipped since Hey Hey’s intervention... needs to get back on the cans

14 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:00 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
auspro wrote:looking at 2 favourites, and correct me if im missing something but Woodhams should hit Lugo around the 70m mark?

Lugo 7.70 (6m) geelong
Woodhams 7.48 (5m) Flag

roughly 0.3s between them over 70m and 3m between HC's (7.75m & 10.75m)

Yeah you're missing the (tail) wind reading at Flagstaff Windy Hill. It was about +4.4.

It made the old Windy Hill up at Essendon about as breezy as Etihad Stadium (with the roof on).

At one stage a lady's hat blew off and ended up in Mt Gambier.

15 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Mex

XXL wrote:Mex could we trouble you to do a poll for the Black Opal?

Someone beat me to it. I can do a write up for it though. Always a quality spectacle.

16 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:32 pm

OldandSlow

This is race is wide open with multiple chances and is looking like we'll have a great line up. Personally I thought Phelan was building for another crack at Bendigo but last week proved me wrong. I also like Woodhams and if he fires it should be a one man race at the end as I dont think anyone can match him for speed off that mark. Lugo and Max will be very close and both should final based on past few weeks. Should be an exciting weekend.

17 Re: Bendigo gift on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:45 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
One thing that could change the dynamics of the race is flipping the track around. For the first time since 1982 the track will run south to north OR if you are watching from the hill near the bookies stand and the bar, it is now running left to right.

I can't think of a decent reason why they would do this. It has worked well for 35 years and seems logical to finish at the end where most of the crowd sits/stands. If anyone can enlighten us at why they have changed direction, it would be much appreciated.

I have a hunch the flipping of the track will suit the frontmarkers.

18 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:18 am

Runforit

I reckon it is for the corporates!!

If memory serves there was tables, chairs, umbrellas etc down at the scoreboard end last year. I can't remember them being massively patronised, but I guess if they paid some hard earned sponsorship $ they may have complained?

Surely they could have come up with a better compromise than that, and hopefully they don't turn the 400m track around anytime soon!

19 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:33 am

XXL

Wouldn’t flipping the track around make it slightly uphill? May suit the backies more

20 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
XXL wrote:
Wouldn’t flipping the track around make it slightly uphill? May suit the backies more

If there is a slight hill, and I think there is, I'm pretty sure they've been running 'up' for the last 35 years.

When the 400m lads come off the bend in the run to the line, it always seems like they're running up a hill - the same direction as the Gift track.

I guess we'll find out on the weekend.

21 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:11 am

timrosen35

Youngy, the entire 70m track is downhill at Bendigo, therefore at least the last 70 of the gift track is downhill (possibly a bit more). So now it’ll be mainly uphill if they switch it. Downhill and the great surface is why there’s always fast times at Bendigo.
I think the end of the opal appears uphill because it’s the end of a 400 Twisted Evil

Last edited by timrosen35 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

22 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 am

timrosen35

I don’t know why it only posted 1/3rd of my message then? Anyway I also wrote I don’t know why they’d switch the gift track around. It makes no sense! The atmosphere at Bendigo is one of the best in the VAL and having the race finish surrounded by the crowd is what makes it so amazing. I see no logical reason why they’ve switched it. Wrong decision IMO

23 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 am

timrosen35

Oh and Old and Slow, he loves Bendigo more than anything. And I see no reason why last week would stop him coming up this week Smile

24 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:21 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
timrosen35 wrote:Youngy, the entire 70m track is downhill at Bendigo, therefore at least the last 70 of the gift track is downhill (possibly a bit more). So now it’ll be mainly uphill if they switch it. Downhill and the great surface is why there’s always fast times at Bendigo.
I think the end of the opal appears uphill because it’s the end of a 400 Twisted Evil

It has been a long time since I ran there so I'm happy to be corrected.  

I see Murray Dinan ran in the Doncaster Gift. It's a pity he's not entered for the 120m at Bendigo. Had he been running this Saturday, he would have been the only competitor in the field to have run both ways.  

25 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 pm

GLPR

carter
rooke
woodhams
phelan
tronnolone
lugo

winner: woodhams

26 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Elmer Fudd

youngy wrote:
timrosen35 wrote:Youngy, the entire 70m track is downhill at Bendigo, therefore at least the last 70 of the gift track is downhill (possibly a bit more). So now it’ll be mainly uphill if they switch it. Downhill and the great surface is why there’s always fast times at Bendigo.

It has been a long time since I ran there so I'm happy to be corrected.  

I see Murray Dinan ran in the Doncaster Gift. It's a pity he's not entered for the 120m at Bendigo. Had he been running this Saturday, he would have been the only competitor in the field to have run both ways.  

I ran backwards there on occasion so that makes two of us.

27 Re: Bendigo gift on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
From the VAL Facebook Page
There is no change to the direction of the sprint track. The individual that posted this false information will receive 50 lashes... Right after I have a snooze

http://protrack.forumotion.com

28 Re: Bendigo gift on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Baltimore Jack

GLPR wrote:
carter
rooke
woodhams
phelan
tronnolone
lugo

winner: woodhams

Just about got it GLPR, but I think Eschebach will let go now he's got his 7

Carter
Eschebach
Rooke
Woodhams
Burleigh
Lugo

Winner: Woodhams just from Eschebach/Rooke. Time 12.35

29 Re: Bendigo gift on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Mex

Interesting to see that two of the athletes mentioned this week have had their coach or affiliate speak on their behalf to defend their results. I think Rooke is quality and gearing for a tilt at another good gift. Why not this week? Same with Woodhams, quality and looking sharp. Good luck to both of those athletes who have worked their way back from injury.

Dale Woodhams 7.75m / Jason Blood 8m - 13% - Woodhams as got back in shape. He looks quick over a 70m and may just be going well enough to take out a gift in Vic. Can he take Bendigo? I do not see why not. He could ossibly have enough already, could it be an old fashioned sting on the one remaining bookie for the Calcutta? I think that these votes may be more for Woodhams than Blood.

Leigh Phelan9.5m / Max Punchihewa 9.5m - 8% - Phelan showed true masters class in the final last week and took out a well deserved Gift win. His mark will reflect the win when he runs but why could he not make the final? He ran second at Bendigo last season and only needs to run that well again to finish top four. The King of the Gifts has referred to him before as a fossil. Well, this fossil will cause havoc for the remainder of the season. Final definitely a chance. Punch and Judy has made a very positive shift to work with NF. He has been thereabouts in gift finals and could be one of the finalists for sure. His training mates could also join him. I feel that he is not the one to win here though.

Rupert Lugo 10.75m / Nick Magree - 10.75m - 15%- Lugo could be the main man of the group this week. He should fight this off from Kim K. A beer or two on the way up may be all he needs. He has very quick leg turn over and once he wins a gift will focus on stealing the 70m crown at Stawell again. Magree is another athlete who is a chance to do some damage off the front. He tends to get beaten out of the blocks but is strong enough to fight back. He is probably due a bigger gift win than he has had in the past.

Tim Rosen 14m / Paul Hughes 15m - 10% - The Man has a winning mark again and could make a charge at the few remaining finals. I feel that he has not quite hit his straps yet and has had a quiet year by his standards. Perhaps there is a race with his name on it at the end of the season. Probably about 178m long or thereabouts. Hughes is to be discounted at your peril. He can run a 12.50 off this mark and on the quick track he may sneak away briefly. He could make the final but I think a semi may be his best result.

Good luck

30 Re: Bendigo gift on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Thatsthestats

I thought Lugo got the Chockies in the Bill Howard. He hasn’t won the Postle too has he Mex ? Hopefully he has a few frothies on the Saturday Night just to prime himself for a tilt come Sunday.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum