PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
October 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Pre Stawell lunch

Pre Stawell lunch

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Pre Stawell lunch on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
The annual Past Runners Association pre Stawell luncheon is on this Sunday 18 March at Diamond Valley Athletic Club rooms. Willinda Park, 1 Beatrix St, Greensborough. 12 Noon for a 12.30pm start. The event is $30 and includes a sit down 2 course buffet meal.
Guest speakers this year are Greg Champion and Charlene Rendina.

Contact Barrie Milligan 0429 191 412 asap to reserve your spot.

Champion is most recognised for his work as part of the Coodabeen Champions as a songwriter and guitarist. Probably his most famous songs is "That's the Thing About Football", which has gone down as a classic Australian rules song, and has been used on Seven Network's Australian Football League coverage.

Charlene is an Australian running icon who still holds the 800m Australian record of 1.59.0.This was set on 28 February 1976, where Rendina scorched around two laps of the Olympic Park track to win the state 800m title.
In her first Olympic competition in Munich, 1972, Rendina set an Olympic record (51.90 seconds in her heat) on her way to the 400 metres final where she eventually finished in sixth place in 51.99 seconds. She was also in the final of the 4 × 400 m relay where she ran a 50.7 leg for the Australian team that came in 6th in 3:28.84.
At the 1974 Commonwealth Games, she moved up to the 800 metres distance and took gold.

In her career, she won five Australian Championships in Athletics at 800m and two at 400m.

2 Re: Pre Stawell lunch on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
A message to the distance running community. The Past Runners Association are the mob who sponsor the Veterans & Womens 1600m at Stawell. After this event was cut from the Stawell program a few years ago, they lobbied to get it back on and now sponsor the event. Without the PRA there is no Vets/Womens 1600m at Stawell.

Please try and get along to this event and support those that provide you a very important event at Stawell.

3 Re: Pre Stawell lunch on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 am

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Ribera wrote:A message to the distance running community. The Past Runners Association are the mob who sponsor the Veterans & Womens 1600m at Stawell. After this event was cut from the Stawell program a few years ago, they lobbied to get it back on and now sponsor the event. Without the PRA there is no Vets/Womens 1600m at Stawell.

Please try and get along to this event and support those that provide you a very important event at Stawell.

Ribera,
As a newbie to the sports, at least in contrast to you, I know little of the PRA, what it has done in the past? Nor what it does in the present?
Can you provide some historical perspective to support those ignoranters like myself?

It can be easy for people to ignore the work of volunteer groups when we don't know what they do.

4 Re: Pre Stawell lunch on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:02 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Dizzy, as I am not a past runner I know very little of their past. Just trying to support a sponsor of an event at Stawell that would not exist without the PRA.
Traditionally the pre Stawell function was held as a breakfast in conjunction with the Flemington Rotary Club.
The PRA also put out a newsletter every few months containing current and old articles. It is a very good read.
The function on Sunday is the PRA's major fundraiser and without it they would be unlikely to sponsor the Stawell vets/womens 1600m.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum