PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bay Sheffield Carnival - HANDICAPS for senior events
Today at 5:01 pm by Admin

» 2018 Bay Sheffield - U/18 & U/14 HANDICAPS
Today at 4:09 pm by Admin

» Marysville Results
Today at 3:05 pm by vicoutsider

» Marysville Gift
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:02 pm by Mex

» Keith Patching Sprint Poll
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:27 pm by Trackstar

» Brighton Athletic Carnival (SAAL) Handicaps - Sunday 16th dec 2018
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:31 pm by Admin

» Womens Gifts
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 pm by Mex

» Waverley Results
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:55 pm by JH

» Waverley Gift
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 pm by Mex

December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » stawell handicaps

stawell handicaps

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 stawell handicaps on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:03 am

jknott123

good to see nothing has changed with the handicaps handed out by distance handicapper

p o'farrell  ballarat 800m handicap 100m time 2.05s

keilor    800m handicap  110m time 2.07s

doncaster 800m handicap  116m time 1.57s

bendigo    800m handicap  118m time  dnr

parkdale   800m handicap   118m time 2.09

stawell heat 800m handicap 118m time 1.52.69

stawell final ??

2 Re: stawell handicaps on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:11 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Wow, very interesting stats put up by John Knott.

Last in his heat of the 800 at Parkdale?  The heat was won by Ashley Cowan in 1-55.16. O'Farrell finished 14secs behind in 2-09.623. And no mention of O'Farrell in the Steward's Parkdale report.  

Parkdale is only 9 days before  the Stawell 800m.

I don't know the guy but in the wake of the precedent set in the Darren Arthur 300m vets DQ, how did O'Farrell get to run in the Stawell 800m final?

O'Farrell (3rd) beat Cowan comfortably in the final at Stawell.

I can only assume there's some rational explanation that was satisfactory.

Based on the 'raw' evidence...........as a steward and handicapper this sort of stuff does your head in.  Rolling Eyes

3 Re: stawell handicaps on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:11 pm

BMara

Hello Everyone
Last evening as I walked off the track I said " that's it for another season"......clearly I still have a lot to learn. ( not even lunch time and there has been over 400 views). My advice is ........People have a break.....maybe wait until Wednesday.

Knotty, Parkdale, I'll assume you weren't there. The 800m heats were run in the worst conditions I have copped in my 45 years in the sport. That's a big statement and quite possibly incorrect but you get my "drift". Although the track was safe and in good condition the torrential rain made racing horrendous. I would much preferred to have held the heats up for 30 minutes but with such a big program and the weather looking very bleak we raced in the conditions. It would have been a cruel person to not consider the conditions when assessing any athletes poor run.
(In my day I would have scratched from the 800m and headed to nearby Sandown races.)
I'm agreeing POF's run was a surprising improvement but not enough to hang him.If you forgive him the heavy track form, his last 800m run was 6 weeks ago with 2m less. Peter ran well in the Mile at Bendigo (2nd) after Doncaster.
Incidentally Parkdale was non penalty, unless you broke nett time, and that wasn't going to happen in the conditions.

Surprisingly no one has pointed the finger at the Women's gift final at Parkdale. Many of the girls lost considerable time from heat to semi to final. Once again, it would have been an ordinary effort to "call them up".

Final word from me...... Turn the internet off and have a rest.

4 Re: stawell handicaps on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:37 pm

jknott123

strange the head steward replies to a post criticising the handicapper.
you never explained how the athlete received 18m lift after two runs

5 Re: stawell handicaps on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:40 pm

jknott123

oh and if you check my post mara you will see that it was posted just after the heats

6 Re: stawell handicaps on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:32 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Fair point on the fact there was nothing to be gained by running poorly the week before. Marks were declared, done and dusted. Betting on the race is negligible. Simply no benefit to be gained. Just maybe though, POF could have said something to the handicapper - "it was a shocker" due to the conditions and not to take any notice of it.

I reckon if you know you are a decent chance to improve substantially, it's worth discussing it with the stewards. He may well have done that, we just don't know.

7 Re: stawell handicaps on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm

BMara

jknott123 wrote:strange the head steward replies to a post criticising the handicapper.
you never explained how the athlete received 18m lift after two runs

Hello Knotty
Sorry, maybe I should have started the post " Knotty, Youngie" in stead of just "knotty"
I thought the topic was heading for a "DQ head massacre"

To your original topic of the handicap lifts

Dear Knotty please read the handicap regulations:
About page 33
Schedule 1 Handicap Calculations table
800mts Lift range
Please read and follow the 5 minute social media rule

8 Re: stawell handicaps on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:04 am

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
I read some of the comments above, see what happened at Stawell in a number of events this year and recall what Talia Martin went through when she had the form on the board and had previously won twice at Stawell....I just shake my head and wonder where our great sport is heading.

Time, I think to review how we Steward our sport and review what I wrote 2 years ago ....time for change. The Stewards job under current rules is a difficult and impossible job. To maintain the integrity of our sport rules need to be consistently applied or changed so they can be.

There does now appear to be an appetite to change the sport for the better with the sanction handed out in the Vets 300m for significant improvement beyond the net time and I’m looking forward to reading the Stewards report on that. My initial reaction is that disqualification was harsh and the most appropriate action would have been a handicap reduction to starting time based on the heat performance.

9 Re: stawell handicaps on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 pm

Bazza McKenzie

I was just having a ‘ captain cook ‘ at some of the comments and for most of the comments here need to remember the Aussie way ‘cheats always prosper’. What is the difference between a ‘smokey’ And a cheat? ‘ Fair suck of the sav guys’, this has been going on since federation. Coaches/athletes have been ‘ pulling the wool over your eyes’ since the gift commenced. Do some of you want to ban the banana benders, crow eaters, sandgropers,wegians,yanks,Welshmen from the event? Just put up with all the crap that goes on.

Before I ‘put the que in the rack’ CRICKEY what Darren Arthur done to deserve harsher treatment than Smith and Warner. So he made an improvement, go the latest form and look at the number who joined him. He got a DQ, possibly a public stoning would have been more appropriate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum