PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Pitlochry (Scotland)
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:35 pm by JH

» National Awards
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:46 pm by JH

» Latest on Wind adjustments
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:43 am by auspro

» South Australian Athletic League CALENDAR 2018-2019
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 am by Admin

» Stawell Gift Nitro athletics option raised for next year's event
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:47 am by Admin

» Canberra secures 'festival of athletics' in summer race revamp
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:41 am by Admin

» Maddie Coates, Jacob Despard, to run at Warrnambool Gift
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:02 pm by Admin

» Stawell Gift sprinter, author sell Eaglemont refurb before auction
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:55 pm by Trackstar

» Blairgowrie (Scotland)
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:19 pm by JH

September 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Congrats to Stephanie Spence - first female VAL president.

Congrats to Stephanie Spence - first female VAL president.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
Excellent news from Victoria with the announcement of Stephanie Spence as the new VAL president. Wonderful to see and I reckon we're all enthusiastically looking forward to the VAL going ahead in leaps and bounds with Steph at the helm.

Below is David Griffin's article regarding the appointment.

http://www.val.org.au/News/tabid/132/ID/1226/VAL-ELECT-FIRST-FEMALE-PRESIDENT-IN-123-YEARS.aspx
VAL ELECT FIRST FEMALE PRESIDENT IN 123 YEARS

by David Griffin
VAL Website -

For the first time in its 123 year history, the Victorian Athletic League has appointed a female President, with board member Stephanie Spence (nee Mollica) stepping into the role vacated by Mathew Boyes.

Like Richmond football clubs pioneering president Peggy O’Neil, 37 year old Spence has broken new ground for professional athletics in Victoria.

“I am looking forward to adding to what is an already great sport. I have enjoyed sports administration and my own personal athletics career and now as I am raising a family I wanted to remain in touch and contribute where possible”, Spence said after the announcement.

A sport steeped in history, the Victorian Athletic League’s appointment of Spence is a positive step forward as the league looks to re-establish itself in the competitive Victorian sports market.

“Perhaps our sport isn’t as well understood as other sports and there is potentially a funding model around other sports that perhaps we don’t currently get access to”.

“In some ways I see our sport a lot like the Melbourne Cup and it has the same type of appeal”, she said.

CEO of the VAL Tom Burbidge, sees the appointment of Spence as positive step forward for the sport.

“Pro running is one of the most historical sports in Australia and Stephanie brings with her a wealth of knowledge and skills so I’m looking forward to continuing our work together”.

“Stephanie’s business development and communication appetite has a great deal to offer the league moving forward”.

Spence has been an active member of the VAL as an athlete since 2003, a board member from 2016 and has seen firsthand the changing of the guard for females in the sport.

“There were days when there were very few races specifically for women and no female change rooms, so women just had to work it out,” she recalled.

“Not only do woman have their own change rooms but we have gone some way to receiving equal prizemoney and we are seeing more females come into the sport through the junior races that are now at every meeting, which has been a great way for the sport to grow”.

A winner of pro races from 70m to 800 metres, her first objective is to improve communication channels for athletes, administrators, clubs and coaches.

“I think it’s important that we provide a safe opportunity for people to contribute ideas and express views. Everybody involved in this sport loves it and I would like to think we can provide the opportunity for people to speak up and have a voice”.

http://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum