PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Kensington (SAAL) Handicaps - Sunday 25th November 2018
Yesterday at 4:38 pm by Admin

» VRTA 200m Open
Yesterday at 11:13 am by GLPR

» Under Age eligibility in SA - Interstate athletes take note
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm by howeey

» Hastings Results
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:58 pm by SANCHEZ

» Hastings Men's Gift 120m
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:14 pm by Mex

» Hastings Women's Gift 120m
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 pm by Mex

» 9th Annual NOOSA GIFT 2018
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:05 pm by Admin

» Noosa Gift Entry's Close this coming Monday 19th Nov
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 pm by NoosaGift

» Bowker Street Gift (SAAL) - Sunday 18th Nov 2018 HANDICAPS
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:01 pm by racingmania

November 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Pittsworth mates in the mix for a piece of gift history (QAL - Arthur Postle Gift)

Pittsworth mates in the mix for a piece of gift history (QAL - Arthur Postle Gift)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/pittsworth-mates-in-the-mix-for-a-piece-of-gift-hi/3551038/
Pittsworth mates in the mix for a piece of gift history

by Glen McCullough  
Toowoomba Chronicle
17th October 2018

IT'S new, it's historic and it shapes as a proud day for Pittsworth.

That is all the incentive Kurtis Shayler and Pat McGinn need to be a part of the inaugural $5000 Arthur Postle Gift when it bursts to life this weekend.

The first staging of the Arthur Postle Gift professional sprint meeting will be held at Club Pittsworth on Saturday when runners of all ages and abilities converge on the town aiming for a slice of history and a share of the rich prize-money pool on offer.

The 75-yard Arthur Postle Gift - run in memory of "The Crimson Flash” - highlights a gala afternoon and night of racing.

Postle put Pittsworth on the world map in the early 1900s with his record-breaking track feats.

More than 100 years later, Shayler and McGinn will carry the Pittsworth baton against a line-up of leading professional male and female runners under handicap conditions.

Shayler has returned home after a stint last season with the Cronulla Sharks under-20 NRL squad.

He has no professional running experience and is on the comeback from a broken foot but is looking forward to his first taste of gift running.

"I heard of Arthur Postle growing up and how he was the fastest runner in the world in his time,” Shayler said.

"I don't know a lot about pro running but I've watched the Stawell Gift and I just love sport in general so when a couple of people suggested I have a go at the Arthur Postle Gift, I thought why not.

"I'm not doing any special training. I'll just turn up on the day ready to run and see what happens.

"It will be a pretty special day for the town.”

McGinn is a multi-talented athlete and is hoping some of his track running experience will hold him in good stead on Saturday.

The 16-year-old Year 11 Pittsworth State High School student is a Darling Downs' 200-metre representative runner.

He is also an under-15 Queensland schoolboys rugby league rep and a member of the Melbourne Storm Training Academy.

"I've made the Darling Downs team for the last three years in the 200 metres, but the Arthur Postle Gift is going to be something different,” McGinn said.

"I'm contesting the under-18 120-metre event and the Postle Gift.

"I'm going to have a couple of trials runs to try and get the feel of it and I'm looking forward to running in the first Arthur Postle Gift ever run.

"I'm sure Pittsworth will really get behind the event.”

http://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum