PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Kensington (SAAL) Handicaps - Sunday 25th November 2018
Yesterday at 4:38 pm by Admin

» VRTA 200m Open
Yesterday at 11:13 am by GLPR

» Under Age eligibility in SA - Interstate athletes take note
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm by howeey

» Hastings Results
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:58 pm by SANCHEZ

» Hastings Men's Gift 120m
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:14 pm by Mex

» Hastings Women's Gift 120m
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 pm by Mex

» 9th Annual NOOSA GIFT 2018
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:05 pm by Admin

» Noosa Gift Entry's Close this coming Monday 19th Nov
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 pm by NoosaGift

» Bowker Street Gift (SAAL) - Sunday 18th Nov 2018 HANDICAPS
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:01 pm by racingmania

November 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Arthur Postle Gift produces fairytale victory

Arthur Postle Gift produces fairytale victory

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/arthur-postle-gift-produces-fairytale-victory/3554864/
Arthur Postle Gift produces fairytale victory

by Glen McCullough  
Toowoomba Chronicle
20th Oct 2018

The inaugural Arthur Postle Gift has been run and won.

THE inaugural running of the Arthur Postle Gift began on a fitting note at Pittsworth tonight when a relative of the world renowned sprinter raced his way into the history books.

Eighteen-year-old former Toowoomba student Max Mason pulled off the fairytale result with victory in the 75-yard final to claim the first Arthur Postle trophy and $2500 winner's cheque.

Mason is a fifth cousin of Pittsworth-born Postle who was recognised as the fastest man on the planet in the early 1900s while racing his way to numerous world sprinting records.

Tonight's $5000 Postle Gift headed a gala day of sprint racing at Club Pittsworth as race organisers, with the backing of Queensland Athletic League, aim to establish the event on the national professional running calendar.

Mason took out the final from a mark of 3 1/2 yards in a time of 7.28 seconds.

Nigerian Fejiro Omuvwie, off 2 1/2 yards, was second with back marker and Stawell Gift placegetter Gary Finegan (one yard) finishing third.

The gift carried a strong Pittsworth flavour with former Sharks under 20 player Kurtis Shayler making a bold pro-running debut to win his way through to the final where he finished a close fifth off a handicap of six yards.  

Max Mason celebrates his Arthur Postle Gift victory.
Picture: Nev Madsen

Mason is studying in Brisbane to be a PE teacher and admits to cricket and rugby being his sporting priorities over running which he began seriously at high school.

"I ran at school last year but not too much this year," Mason said.

"I've been concentrating more on cricket and rugby.

"It's pretty cool I could take part in it and it's great to have my family here supporting me.

"It's massive. Especially the town of Pittsworth recognising a legend. I hope this continues on every year.

"I'll definitely be coming back."

Shayler savoured his unique experience.

"I didn't really know what to expect and it's something different that's for sure," Shayler said.

"But I really enjoyed the atmosphere and especially the staggered start style of racing."

Gold Coast teenager Dianne Waight starred with dual wins on the program.

Waight won the $1500 Women's 75-yard final from a mark of 5 1/2 yards in 7.94 seconds before backing that up with a strong-finishing victory off 35 metres in the 300-metre Youths' Final.

Exciting Noosa youngster Rick Cuthel also claimed dual wins with victories in the Youths' 75-yard final and Youths' 120-metre final.

Buderim's Ted Belcher turned in an ironman performance to take out both the 120 and 300-metre Open finals.

http://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum