PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bay Sheffield Carnival - HANDICAPS for senior events
Today at 5:01 pm by Admin

» 2018 Bay Sheffield - U/18 & U/14 HANDICAPS
Today at 4:09 pm by Admin

» Marysville Results
Today at 3:05 pm by vicoutsider

» Marysville Gift
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:02 pm by Mex

» Keith Patching Sprint Poll
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:27 pm by Trackstar

» Brighton Athletic Carnival (SAAL) Handicaps - Sunday 16th dec 2018
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:31 pm by Admin

» Womens Gifts
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 pm by Mex

» Waverley Results
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:55 pm by JH

» Waverley Gift
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 pm by Mex

December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » 70m in Timetables

70m in Timetables

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 70m in Timetables on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:49 pm

DarrenW

Hi All,

Does anyone know why there has been a shift from running the rounds of the 70m prior to the rounds of the gift, to jamming all 3 rounds in at the start of the day? It seems to be becoming more popular to jam them in at the start of the day. Personally, I think it's better to slot them in prior to gifts like they used to me.

Having heat, semi and final immediately after each other means some athletes only get as little as 6 minutes recovery between rounds, when others might get 40 minutes. On top of that, some are being run 2+ hours prior to gift heats, so if you're lucky enough to make a gift final, but ran the 70m, you could have needed to be warmed up for 7+ hours.

I'd suggest having a format such as 70, 70, Gift, 70, Gift, Gift, or, 70, Gift, 70, 70, Gift, Gift. Of course it would blend the 70 better with other similar events 70m athletes run in also. Reducing the amount of time between first heat and last final could potentially reduce injury and increase participation in multiple events. I suggest it would also produce more consistent athlete performances by athletes in the 70's by removing the short back up between rounds, and in the 120m by reducing the time you need to be ready and warm throughout the day.

Given the 70m is accessible to most athletes and often the most populous event, I think it's worth a thought.

Interested hear other peoples opinions.

2 Re: 70m in Timetables on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm

The Master

You make a good point Darren, personally I like the first option more, and think its a smart move especially for the larger meets that often have longer timetables spanning 7+ hours. For the smaller gifts that are only 4-5 hours long I don't think it matters as much.

Just looking at the Meadowglen timetable, I reckon some small changes could be made to suit those running the 70m, especially for those running in the last couple heats

Currently it looks like
550m open Heats
800 U/18 Final
70m open Heats
70m Open Semis
70m Open Final & Presentation

My suggestion would be
70m open Heats
550m open Heats
70m Open Semis
800 U/18 Final

This way you give those running the 70 a little more time to recover, and you have 2 finals placed together which helps with the timing of the meet, just an idea anyway.

3 Re: 70m in Timetables on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:59 pm

vicoutsider

The Master wrote:You make a good point Darren, personally I like the first option more, and think its a smart move especially for the larger meets that often have longer timetables spanning 7+ hours. For the smaller gifts that are only 4-5 hours long I don't think it matters as much.

Just looking at the Meadowglen timetable, I reckon some small changes could be made to suit those running the 70m, especially for those running in the last couple heats

Currently it looks like
550m open Heats
800 U/18 Final
70m open Heats
70m Open Semis

My suggestion would be
70m open Heats
550m open Heats
70m Open Semis
800 U/18 Final

This way you give those running the 70 a little more time to recover, and you have 2 finals placed together which helps with the timing of the meet, just an idea anyway.

Agree 100% with this. Hopefully, the right people see this post to start the convo with organisers.

4 Re: 70m in Timetables on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Mex

It might have something to do with the officials and their setting up? By running all of the 70m first and then moving across to the circle finish they would only have to move once and not between each set of heats and semis.
Just a thought.

5 Re: 70m in Timetables on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:58 pm

SANCHEZ

100% correct Mex. Our programmes are so long as it is, we can’t waste time going back and forward alternating between straight and circle events. If you’ve got time up going into the 70 final would you really want to race a heat of a gift beforehand?

6 Re: 70m in Timetables on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:14 pm

The Master

Fair points, although I feel like the officials wouldn't mind moving around more if it benefits the athletes.

Taking the 70m event for example, it takes a similar if not greater amount of time for the results tent to print out results for semis/finals, and then have athletes get their colours, then it would for officials to walk around to the next event, especially if it's less than a 100m walk.

At the end of the day, it gives athletes competing in the later heats a more even playing field, it puts less pressure on the results tent to pump out the semi-final and final draws, and as DarrenW mentioned, will potentially help increase participation and reduce the risk of injury for the event.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum