PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bay Sheffield Carnival - HANDICAPS for senior events
Today at 5:01 pm by Admin

» 2018 Bay Sheffield - U/18 & U/14 HANDICAPS
Today at 4:09 pm by Admin

» Marysville Results
Today at 3:05 pm by vicoutsider

» Marysville Gift
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:02 pm by Mex

» Keith Patching Sprint Poll
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:27 pm by Trackstar

» Brighton Athletic Carnival (SAAL) Handicaps - Sunday 16th dec 2018
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:31 pm by Admin

» Womens Gifts
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 pm by Mex

» Waverley Results
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:55 pm by JH

» Waverley Gift
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 pm by Mex

December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Local Girl competes at Terang for first time in 23 years

Local Girl competes at Terang for first time in 23 years

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
Article in last week's local Terang newspaper.

http://www.terangexpress.com.au/2018/11/runner-returns-for-home-race/

Runner returns for home race

Terang Express
Wed, Nov 28th, 2018.

Former local Anna Kasapis will compete in this weekend’s staging of the Terang Gift.

SUNDAY’S Terang Gift meeting is a homecoming of sorts for former local runner Anna Kasapis.

The 41 year-old will return to her home town to compete for the first time since she left as an 18 year-old.

Kasapis said her return transpired after being trained and mentored by Jill McKenzie for running during her teenage years.

After leaving the area to pursue her running at 18 with a track and field scholarship to the University of Idaho in America for two years, Kasapis settled back in Melbourne at age 22.

Since then she has been a regular runner for her club Athletics Essendon, but always endeavoured to one day run at Terang’s Gift meeting.

With McKenzie one of the key instigators in helping the Terang Athletic Club establish the Gift 12 years ago, Kasapis is finally keeping a promise she made to her mentor and returning home to race.

“When I thought I would do some professional running, I’d always said I’d come and do it,” she said.

“So I thought this year I would (actually) come and do it.”

While Kasapis is looking forward to catching up with friends and family as well as McKenzie upon her return, she is also looking forward to competing.

While she has not been able to attend a meeting before, she has read plenty about it and been told all about it by one of Terang’s running greats.

“Obviously Jill is really proud of it for such a small community,” she said.

“I’ve never been before but I’m looking forward to it.”

Kasapis is set to compete in the 800 and 1600 metre events, and while she said she will enter those races with strong fitness, she was unsure about being handicapped.

She said having competed in the 1500 metre final of the 40 plus category at the Masters Championships in September had her well primed for the event, while she also enters off the back of recent victories.

Last weekend, Kasapis was a member of the successful 4×800 metre and 4×1500 metre relay team Essendon, who won their events at the Victorian Relay Championships at Albert Park last weekend.

“I’m probably fitter this time of year because I to get fit for Spain,” Kasapis said.

“I started my track training earlier than usual

“But I don’t know (about my chances) being handicapped.

“I’ll just give it my best, I’m not even sure where I’ll be running from.”

And while Kasapis admits she is not sure how she will go, she said she is looking forward to racing in the friendly and relaxed atmosphere Terang has become well known for.

“It’s going to be great having variety,” she said.

“I usually know who I am running against and their times.

“This will be a lot more relaxed and (about) just seeing what happens, I’m looking forward to it.”

http://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum