PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Terry McAuliffe
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 4:40 pm by John LeRay

» Stawell washup
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptyWed May 15, 2019 10:11 am by AussiePro

» Targetted disqualification at Stawell
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2019 5:50 pm by Fast

» Who would win the VRTA voted awards so far?
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2019 12:35 pm by up-and-comer

» Stawell results
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 12:19 pm by JH

» Stawell Gift Final
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:36 pm by thecrimsonflash

» Women's Stawell Gift Final
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 3:58 pm by outtopasture

» Mex Missing???
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 4:38 pm by timrosen35

» Adidas Adizero Avanti Boost Running Spikes for sale.
Stawell washup - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 8:45 am by Downesy

June 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Stawell washup

Stawell washup

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

31Stawell washup - Page 2 Empty Re: Stawell washup on Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 am

SANCHEZ

The thing is Aussiepro, a 6m novice mark applies to Vic runners also. You can’t have differing novice marks for different states. Once you run, as an interstate OGA athlete you are eligible for a much greater lift range than an established athlete.

32Stawell washup - Page 2 Empty Re: Stawell washup on Mon May 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Downesy

AussiePro wrote:The main problem for WA runners is the handicap difference from West to East. Someone off 8.5m in WA, will then run off 6m in VIC. They go from competitive, to noncompetitive.
Now, eastern states will say 'oh but they run 12.2 in WA, it's so fast'. They should run 12.5 to win... Bull crap, Stawell is won in 12.1-12.2 every year? Those that make up the numbers run 12.5-6.
Evan Jarvis would have spent $1000's traveling and establishing a VIC mark (good luck to him). It quite obvious handicappers are more generous with marks (to WA) in smaller non significant races, especially Parkdale 2018 a week before Stawell (obvious everyone is pulling up too)
It's seem the SA's are more fair to WA, novice mark is 7m.
But why don't VAL or SA acknowledge WA results as fair? We keep hearing 'WA, oh they run so fast over there 12.1 or 12.2 (sometimes 11.9 with hand timing), the handicaps are too good".
WA pro marks are on the money, VAL just don't want WA to win Stawell (are we still hurting from Capo in 1990?)
National handicap system would be the best way to go. But we know that will never happen because state leagues want to control there events!!!

Never say never.

33Stawell washup - Page 2 Empty Re: Stawell washup on Mon May 06, 2019 4:12 pm

racingmania

AussiePro
Fair points regarding Stawell and VAL. WA athletes do struggle there every year.
But you can't lump SA into it. WA have numerous reps in the Bay Shef finals every year. 3 in the main Bay Shef final in 2017 including the winner who had never run in SA before.
Panizza has made 4 bay finals, no current SA athlete has made 4 finals.
WA punches well above its weight at the Bay.

34Stawell washup - Page 2 Empty Re: Stawell washup on Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 am

AussiePro

Sanchez, why don't they consider the WA handicaps as real? Why must WA run interstate to establish a 'real' mark? That's not exactly fair in my book.
Racingmania, SA marks are slightly better. However, check the record books to see how many WA winners total, 3 ever I think (Capo, Buchanan & Sasha) not that many winners over 130 odd years. Panizza & Sophie Watts also were both unregistered at Bay Sheff in 2018 and should of been DQ'd, but SAAL looked they other way when informed about this (not sure why, unfair on runners that registered for Bay)
Downesy - let's hope so mate.
Here is an example of a WCAL entry to VAL last season in Feb- WA male Athlete has the following form (recent PB of 11.07);
Aug 2018 from 8m runs 7th in final 12.67,
Dec 2018 from 6m runs 5th final 13.72,
Jan 2019 from 8.75m runs 3rd in final 12.23 (semi auto timing).
A fair and conservative mark in VAL would be 7-7.5m right??? He gets 6m (what a surprise), and appeals immediately.... No reply so pulls out of VAL event (saving money & time on the pointless VIC trip). Then one week after the pro event, receives an email that says, your appeal has been dismissed (wtf?).

35Stawell washup - Page 2 Empty Re: Stawell washup on Mon May 13, 2019 3:43 pm

SANCHEZ

I understand your frustration Aussiepro but you have to have some feeling for the handicapper. You are a long way away over there, running in a couple of events that have questionable stewarding, sometimes no electronic timing and possibly no wind gauge. If I were handicapper i’d be wary of just throwing runners out there having blind faith with all these variables thrown in. If they have run at the Bay etc then that would carry some weight and at least give the handicapper a chance to compare runners.

36Stawell washup - Page 2 Empty Re: Stawell washup on Tue May 14, 2019 10:21 am

AussiePro

Sanchez, I do have feeling for the handicappers. I feel they are no good!
This 'WA is a long way with questionable stewarding, timing & wind gauge' is a poor excuse bad handicappers and interstaters use. What about the weekly amateur results? Are they dodgy too? The runner example I used is a well known 5 x national medalist (not a stranger from outer space). So don't give me that.
Handicappers now are also former athletes or coaches, with former stablemates (like VAL, is now handicapping his old team mates). So we all know what's going on. And yes the Bunbury gift, well that's another level.
A computerized national handicap system is a much better ethical way to go. It should spit out an accurate mark whether you are an amateur or pro runner. Even if you have never run pro's before. If you not happy with your mark, a rep from your state can take it up with the national league handicapper. So you are represented properly.

37Stawell washup - Page 2 Empty Re: Stawell washup on Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Downesy

AussiePro wrote:Sanchez, I do have feeling for the handicappers. I feel they are no good!
This 'WA is a long way with questionable stewarding, timing & wind gauge' is a poor excuse bad handicappers and interstaters use. What about the weekly amateur results? Are they dodgy too? The runner example I used is a well known 5 x national medalist (not a stranger from outer space). So don't give me that.
Handicappers now are also former athletes or coaches, with former stablemates (like VAL, is now handicapping his old team mates). So we all know what's going on. And yes the Bunbury gift, well that's another level.
A computerized national handicap system is a much better ethical way to go. It should spit out an accurate mark whether you are an amateur or pro runner. Even if you have never run pro's before. If you not happy with your mark, a rep from your state can take it up with the national league handicapper. So you are represented properly.

AussiePro, I’d give you a couple of suggestions. Firstly, keep watching this space regarding your suggestions. Secondly, handicapping is a thankless job at best, and knowing first hand how much work goes into the marks week in week out, I’d let them do their job, the job they’ve volunteered for. I don’t see many people lining up each year for handicapping, stewarding, the board, VRTA, race day assistance roles, so let’s appreciate those who do, or step up and your hat in the ring.

38Stawell washup - Page 2 Empty Re: Stawell washup on Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 am

AussiePro

Downsey, I will keep watching this space regarding my suggestions, and thank you for yours.
One thing that the WCAL have done well in recent years is VIDEO replay. Of every race at every meeting (it's a must going forward for ALL pro leagues. Easy to catch hand braking etc. And the handicappers can watch the performances from anywhere (so no excuses).
Also, I'm not afraid to step up and throw my hat in the ring at all. I've been involved in Pro's over 30+ years, held almost every position and seen it from every angle (runner, coach, spectator & administrator). I certainly know what the handicappers are going through.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum