PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Following on from the Steve Mullings 9.89/Jason Smyth 10.22 thread, here's some more info on an inspirational & remarkable athlete. 10% vision and can run 10.22.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-1372087/Jason-Smyth-The-remarkable-Irishman-feeling-way-London-2012.html#ixzz1N8gd8Ljw

Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! Article-0-0B27D1D800000578-378_468x365
Running mate: Tyson Gay training in Florida with partially-sighted athlete Jason Smyth.

Jason Smyth: The remarkable Irishman who is feeling his way to London 2012
By Jonathan McEvoy
Olympics Correspondent
UK Daily Mail
1st April 2011

Jason Smyth can see there is a clock hanging three yards away from him. But he cannot tell you the time.

‘You are sitting the other side of the desk and I don’t know what colour your eyes are,’ he said.

‘I can see there are two pictures up on the wall but I don’t know what’s on them.’

This is the story of the lad from Londonderry who trains with Tyson Gay and his squad of superstar sprinters and in his own way is as remarkable as any of them.

Smyth suffers from Stargardt’s disease, a genetic partial loss of sight, and has travelled across the Atlantic in an attempt to realise his dream — a place on the starting line at the London Olympics.
Next month he will compete at the BT Paralympic World Cup in Manchester, the world’s largest multi-sport elite disability competition outside of the Paralympic Games.

Smyth became a double Paralympic champion in Beijing, but he now has just two numbers in mind: 10.18 and 20.60, the times in seconds that will grant him qualification for the 100 metres and 200m next year.

‘I’m looking to run those times in 2011 and that will do it for the Olympics. It will take the pressure off me,’ said the 23-year-old, whose best 100m time came last year with a slightly wind-assisted 10.27sec.

‘I wanted to kick on from that but I got injured and it was a case of just getting to the
(able-bodied) European Championships, without doing much training.

Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! Article-0-02A3C4D100000578-453_468x286
Record breaker: Smyth takes gold in Beijing after a run of 10.62 seconds.

‘I made it there and ran 10.43sec to reach the semi-final, but I never got the opportunity to show what I could do. I think I am in a position to do that now.’

Smyth, who represents Ireland, moved over full-time to the National Training Centre in
Clermont, Florida, last summer, along with his coach Stephen Maguire, to link up with Gay and his coach Lance Brauman.

‘Stephen knew Lance after Beijing,’ expained Smyth. ‘We realised that we needed to try something new if we were going to get to London.

‘We came out here in May 2009 for six or seven weeks. From there our relationships grew and we came out again last year.

‘There are three advantages to being here — the weather, the facilities are on site and the training partners are the best in the world. It gives me the opportunity to improve, defend my Paralympic titles in the 100m and 200m and hopefully make it to London.’

Jason Smyth - despite 10% vision, he is seriously quick! Article-0-0B27D3A900000578-623_468x286
On track: Gay and Smyth are gunning for Olympic glory in London.

At first, Smyth did not reveal his sight problems to his new training partners. One of the
group soon looked him up on Google and, on discovering his Paralympic pedigree, wound up Gay by saying the new kid had won more than him.

But how much of an impediment is partial sight to a sprinter?

‘I don’t know it any other way,’ said Smyth, who wears sunglasses to run. ‘I have under
10 per cent of perfect eyesight. You see a lot of things but they are blurry. To see clearly you have to be very close up.

‘When I’m running in a straight line it’s not a big issue. But when a track’s wet it can give off a glare that makes it hard to see lines going round bends.

‘Training-wise it has a bigger effect. Technically, I can’t see what I am doing in a mirror. Or what others are doing. It is not good for spatial awareness when you are hopping over hurdles. I’ve got a scar from when I hit a box last year.

‘Stephen works with me to get me to the point where I can feel what I’m doing. It’s all feeling pretty good at the moment.'

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/13719993.stm

Jason Smyth faces big names in Diamond League meeting

BBC.Co.UK
Thursday, 9 June 2011

Jason Smyth will have the two fastest men in the world this year for company in the 100m field at Saturday's Diamond League meeting in New York.

Tyson Gay and Steve Mullings are both faster this year than Usain Bolt and also regularly train with Paralympic champion Smyth in Florida.

Gay clocked 9.79 last weekend while Mullings won the Diamond League meeting in Oregon in 9.80 seconds.

The New York 100m entry also includes Michael Frater and Nesta Carter.

Jamaican Frater has clocked 9.94 seconds this year with his compatriot Carter even faster with a 9.92 clocking.

Another sub-10 Jamaican Nickel Ashmeade will also be in action as will four world-class Trinidadians including 2008 Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson, who set his personal best of 9.89 in the Bird's Nest Stadium in Beijing three years ago.

Thompson will be joined by his fellow countrymen Keston Bledman (9.93 this season), Rondel Sorrillo and Marc Burns (PB 9.96).

Thompson's season's best is a comparatively pedestrian 10.01 by world-class standards but it is still .21secs faster than Smyth's personal best and Northern Ireland record set in Florida last month.

Others in the field include Americans Travis Padgett, who has a personal best of 9.89 and has run 9.99 this season, Rae Edwards and Trell Kimmons.

Smyth will hope that racing against world-class opposition to spur him to achieve the World Championship and Olympic Games standard of 10.18.

The Londonderry man's ambition is to compete at both the Olympic Games and Paralympics in London next year.

His Irish team-mate David Gillick will be in action in the 400m in New York.

Gillick clocked a mediocre 46.80 seconds on his season opener in Florida last weekend and will need to run a lot faster to stay in touch with the likes of Jeremy Wariner, Chris Brown and European champion Kevin Borlee.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum