Friday, 16 September 2011
Australia Post delivers for the Gift until 2013
The Stawell Athletic Club and the Hon Hugh Delahunty, Minister for Sport and Recreation, today announced that Australia Post will renew their naming rights sponsorship of the nation’s most famous and richest footrace for the next two years.
Commencing back in 1995, the Australia Post partnership with the Stawell Athletic Club will now extend to 19 editions of the Australia Post Stawell Gift.
“The support of sponsors such as Australia Post is crucial to ensuring that iconic Australian events including the Stawell Gift can continue to survive and thrive in a very competitive market,” said Minister Delahunty.
“Along with the Victorian Government’s election pledge to provide funding through to 2015, it is fantastic that the Stawell Athletic Club can now embark on long term projects which would otherwise not have been possible:”
“This includes attracting Australia’s best athletes and international stars such as Kim Collins and Collins Cheboi who thrilled crowds at this year’s carnival.
“Kim has already expressed his keenness to return to Central Park next year and discussions are also underway with a number of other international stars for the 2012 carnival.
President Charlie Baird said the Stawell Athletic Club was very appreciative of the ongoing support provided by Australia Post.
“We are delighted that Australia Post has decided to continue their sponsorship of the Stawell Gift until 2013,” Baird said.
“It is always an anxious time when such a major sponsorship is up for renewal, and despite our long-term partnership, we have never taken their valuable support for granted.”
Alex Twomey, General Manager External Affairs & Reputation, of Australia Post said the partnership with the Stawell Athletic Club was an integral part of their support for regional Victoria.
“Australia Post is delighted to be able to continue its association with the Stawell Gift and the Stawell community more broadly,” Twomey said.
“Australia Post’s long standing commitment to rural and regional communities makes this partnership much more than simply a sponsorship.”
Returning to the original four-day format next year, the 131st edition of the Australia Post Stawell Gift will be staged over the Easter long weekend from April 6 to 9, 2012.
Highlights of the 2011 Australia Post Stawell Gift
- The attraction of high calibre international and national elite athletes who were invaluable promotional tools and event drawcards
- The 17th year of Australia Post support and increased Victorian Government funding, with a total of 28 race and carnival sponsors
- Two hours of live television coverage around Australia on Finals Day (Easter Tuesday) on ONE. The coverage reached an international audience via the Australia Network which broadcast the two-hour program to 22 million homes in 44 countries across Asia, the Pacific and the Indian subcontinent
- More than 80,000 listeners from around Victoria tuned in to the two-hour live radio broadcast on ABC radio
- An 8% increase in prize money to a record $126,500, further cementing the event as Australia’s richest footrunning carnival.
- An extensive marketing program that focused on engaging the youth amateur athletics market, and as a result, race entries rose 19%. The introduction of the Victorian Little Athletics program to the carnival saw strong participation and attendance by families across the weekend.
For further information (media only), or to arrange interviews, please contact:
Michelle Cook – 0430 177 668 or email@example.com