Proudly brought to you by Hippo Athletic Club
Date: Friday 19th November 2010 (Start Time: 6.30pm-9.30pm)
Venue: Moonee Valley Athletics Centre (Aberfeldie)
Corio Street, Moonee Ponds, Victoria, 3039
News & Update
Attention: VAL Community, Sponsors & Supporters,
Hippo Athletic Club would firstly like to thank all athletes that have entered our Movember Gift meeting on Friday 19th November 2010, furthermore we’d like to thank our generous sponsors so far and we look forward to the support of athlete family and friends by way of attendance next Friday 19th November 2010.
Entries & Highlights
Entries officially closed on Monday 8th November and numbers are very encouraging, numbers are similar to last year with total entries at 340 as compared to 350 in 2009, the main event being 550m Classic has 55 entries whilst last year we had 58 entries.
An excellent field is set to greet the judges in the 550m Classic with key runners in the entries including the experienced runners of Matthew Hargreaves, Simon Fitzpatrick, Lachlan Taylor, Derek Collinge and Justin Rinaldi who are set to take on the young guns such as Freddy Ovett, Ollie Warm, Michael Ryde and Shaun Hargreaves.
For mine the early race favourite would have to be the evergreen Justin Murphy who is a 550m specialist in VAL ranks but hot on his heals will be some of the runners already mentioned but you can also include athletes such as Cameron Yorke, Corey Lawson, Mark Andrews, Adam Coote and Hipworth Athletic Club evergreens Arron Downes and James Deane who are ideally suited over the 550m distance.
We have a few interstate runners visiting for the 550 Classic, I’ve already mentioned Derek Collinge as a major chance who is making the trek from Canberra, but another interstater that will give the locals a run for their money will be Ben Crawford from SA.
Of the support events, the 300m Open is sure to be hotly contested with the inclusion of Aaron Rouge-Serret and his Athletics Essendon counterpart Daniel Martin amongst the entries, both will be tightly handicapped and whilst neither are at their preferred distances, both will take a great deal of holding out and their participation is sure to make the 300m Open another highlight.
Proposed Schedule Of Events
Due noise restrictions the schedule is very tight and compact with the meet starting at 6.30pm and the conclusion at 9.30pm. Proposed schedule of events as follow:
• 100m Open Heats- 6.30pm (9 heats)
• 100m Women Heats- 6.57pm (3 heats)
• 100m Open Semi- 7.15pm (2 semis)
• 100m Women Final- 7.25pm
• 100m Open Final- 7.30pm
• Presentation of 100m Open & 100m Women Winners- 7.35pm
• 1600m Novice- 7.40pm
• Presentation of 1600m Novice Winner- 7.45pm
• 300m Veterans Heats- 7.50pm (3 heats)
• 300m Open Heats- 7.59pm (5 heats)
• 300m Women Heats- 8.15pm (2 heats)
• 550m Classic Heats- 8.25pm (4 heats)
• 300m Veterans Final- 8.40pm
• 300m Open Final- 8.45pm
• 300m Women Final- 8.50pm
• Presentations of 300m Veterans, 300m Open & 300m Women Winners- 8.55pm
• 3200m Open- 9.10pm
• Presentation of 3200m Open Winner- 9.25pm
• 550m Classic Final- 9.30pm
• Presentation of 550m Classic Winner- 9.35pm
• Raffle Draw & Meet Closing- 9.45pm
As mentioned already, above is proposed schedule of events and is very tight at this stage, any feedback is appreciated and will be taken on board, at the end of the day we are trying to cater best for all athletes to be able to compete in as many events as possible and we’ve taken this into account when setting above schedule.
Now would also be an ideal opportunity to give great thanks to our race sponsors who are as follows:
• 100m Open- Diversified Exhibitions, Chris Tuohy
• 100m Women- Australian Clothing Company, Greg Bisinella
• 300m Open- Authentics Australia (Saucony), Pete De La Haye
• 300m Veterans- Northwest Powersweeping, David Kline
• 300m Women- Sims Sports, Robert Furness
• 550m Classic- Hippo Athletic Club, Members of Hippo Athletic Club
• 3200m Open- Endura Sports Nutrition, Dean Montgomery
We have great prizes already on offer but the list is growing daily, prizes so far include the following:
• Sporting Memorabilia (Asafa Powell & Usain Bolt signed spikes), donated by Adam Larcom Essendon Physiotherapy (Priceless)
• Genesis 3mth Gym Memberships (1 x Waverley & 1 x Bundoora, 3 free PT sessions included), donated by James Clarke ($500 value)
• Dimattina Group Restaurant Vouchers (Dimattina’s, Il Gumbero, Blue Train, Etc), donated by Stephanie Mollica ($250 value)
• Healthy Balance Fitness Boot Camp Vouchers, donated by Michael Brown ($200 value)
• Nike Goods (Apparel or Footwear TBC), donated by George Lawlor ($200 value)
• Gerard Roberts Massage Therapy Vouchers (2 x 1hr Sports or Remedial Massage), donated by James Deane ($150 value)
• Grill Room Steakhouse Voucher, donated by Luke Versace ($50 value)
Tickets will be on sale at Dandenong and again at the Movember Gift with tickets $5.00 each and all funds raised going towards Movember Foundation. Our raffle was a great money spinner last year and we look forward to your support either prior to or on the night by way of purchasing a ticket or two.
Look out for further news later next week, in particular the much awaited form guide which will be posted on various websites but will also be listed in our program on the night, programs will be $2.00 whilst entry on the night for family and friends will be free, but we will be asking for a Gold Coin donation towards Movember Foundation.
Should anyone have any queries, suggestions or know of any additional sponsors or supporters, please feel free to contact Hippo Athletic Club, we welcome your input and feedback, we look to make our meet an event for the athletes run by athletes.
Christopher Brown (Hippo Athletic Club- Secretary)
Mobile: 0419 223 264