PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

British 800m runners to appeal omission - 3 A qualifiers left out

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/18707836

London 2012: Jemma Simpson encourages selection appeals

AP
BBC.co.uk
4th July 2012

Jemma Simpson has encouraged all the 800m runners who were overlooked for Team GB's London 2012 squad to appeal.

Simpson, Marilyn Okoro, Emma Jackson and Jenny Meadows were all omitted, with Olympic trials winner Lynsey Sharp the only runner picked.

"I think there is grounds for all four girls that haven't been picked for the team to appeal," she told BBC Cornwall.

Top 800m times this year
•Marilyn Okoro: 1.59.33
•Emma Jackson: 1.59.37
•Lynsey Sharp: 2.00.52
•Jemma Simpson: 2.00.97

Simpson, Meadows and Okoro have run the 'A' standard while Sharp has only run the 'B' standard.

Under selection rules, Great Britain cannot pick a mixture of runners who have and have not achieved the 'A' standard.

"I've sent my letter and I hope everyone else does too," Simpson added.

"Four athletes have been sacrificed for one. One showed current form and the selection process is so extensive you could have picked any one of the four, I don't know how they came to their decision - I think it's the wrong decision.

"Lynsey deserves a place. In a home Games when there's an option for three places you have to fill the spots, [so the team has] three chances to get to the final.

Jemma Simpson
•Twice a World Championship semi-finalist
•Fifth in the 2010 European Championships
•2010 UK champion

"The British public like to see a full team out there - it is in the spirit of the Games.''

Simpson was seventh in the final of the European Championships last week, a race in which Sharp finished second.

The Cornish-born runner had her lottery funding cut last year and has been training in the United States in a bid to make Team GB.

"The conclusion has come as a shock to most people that I've heard from," Simpson said.

"If you've been left out of the team you're going to be upset about it and you're going to fight until the bitter end.

"That's what I hope people who haven't been picked for the team will do."

The 28-year-old feels that Team GB's selectors should give British athletes the chance to prove themselves in front of their home crowd in London.

"It's not set in stone, you can't put medals around people's necks until the championship has taken place," she added.

"In the sprint events Usain Bolt false starts and he's out, someone else gets the gold medal and it's the same here.

"It's important to give British athletes the best opportunity you can to represent the country and put themselves on the start line in a position to at least fight to get to the final and fight to get a medal."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum