PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Mark Hignett Border mail article  EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Hignett Border mail article

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mark Hignett Border mail article  Empty Mark Hignett Border mail article Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:32 am

Anonymous

MARK Hignett overcame two years of injury to win the time-honoured Burramine Gift at Yarrawonga on Saturday.

The Torquay sprinter had 7/100ths of a second to spare over Albury’s John Adams when the field hit the line ahead of an impending storm at JC Lowe Oval.

It was the third time Adams had finished runner-up at the $8000 Gift.

For Hignett it was just reward for a summer of near misses and two seasons of injury.

The 39-year-old, who was favourite when he was runner-up to Josh Ross at Stawell in 2005, was beaten on the line at Albury, finished third at Bendigo and was run out of the Ballarat Gift by the eventual winner.

Hignett, who was off the front and a handicap of 12 metres, made light of the narrow winning margin.

“These finishes are always close,” he said.

“I’ve been thereabouts all summer and its been hard off the front mark, when I’ve been beaten it has been the last step — you know you are in front, can hear them coming but it’s not like you can turn around.

“I thought I’d won at Albury and got beaten right on the line.”

The former Sydneysider said it was an honour to win at Yarrawonga.

“I’ve been coming up here since I moved down to Victoria in 2008,” he said.

“There is certainly some history to win the race and I enjoyed the celebrations afterwards.

“It was tough for John (Adams) — I think we have been racing each other for 15 years.”

Hignett’s win comes after two years battling injury.

He missed most of 2011-12 with a torn hamstring and battled a baffling injury last summer.

“I had neural pain that was coming out of my back and down into the hamstrings,” Hignett said.

“It felt like I was tearing a hamstring when I ran — it was a lot of pain and took a lot of work to get right.”

Hignett will now compete in the veterans’ 100 metres at the Stawell Gift next month.

“I’m off 3.25 metres and I don’t think the win will have any effect on that handicap,” he said.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum