PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jeremy Wariner aiming for a '44' in Drake Relays meet

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110407/SPORTS0204/110406067/0/NEWS/?odyssey=nav|head

Drake Relays: Olympic gold medalist Jeremy Wariner set for 400 meters

Written by ANDREW LOGUE
DesMoinesRegister.com
Apr. 7, 2011

Jeremy Wariner, the 27-year-old native of Irving, Texas, will run his second 400 meters of the outdoor season at Drake Stadium after debuting a week earlier at the Michael Johnson Invitational.

Aching knees prevented Jeremy Wariner from competing at last year’s Drake Relays.

This year, the three-time Olympic gold medalist should be hitting his stride when the 102nd running of Iowa’s premier track and field meet takes place April 26-30.

“I’m excited to come back,” Wariner said Wednesday. “It’s always been a great crowd. No matter how cold it is, they’re always out there.”

The 27-year-old native of Irving, Texas, will run his second 400 meters of the outdoor season at Drake Stadium after debuting a week earlier at the Michael Johnson Invitational.

“When me and coach (Clyde) Hart look at our schedule, we look at when the meets are and how training is going at the time,” Wariner said. “And what is the best week for me.”

Wariner spent the early part of 2010 recovering from knee surgery and a bone bruise, but emerged as the world’s premier active quarter-miler with a top time of 44.13 seconds.

“I just wasn’t ready to run (at Drake), so I waited a few more weeks to open up,” Wariner said. “Unfortunately, my season got off to a slow start. But I stayed positive and was able to come through, get my training where I needed it to be and start winning again.”

Wariner breezed to a victory at the 2009 Relays, crossing the finish line in 45.06 seconds.

He also has experienced narrow defeats at Drake, dating to his days as an NCAA champion for Baylor.

“I really want to go out there and win, and drop a good time,” Wariner said. “I’ve never run 44 (seconds) there. So that’s one thing I want to do.”

Wariner burst onto the international scene in 2004, winning an Olympic gold medal in the 400 and helping the United States triumph in the 4x400.

He earned a 400 silver at the 2008 Games, and helped the U.S. defend its relay title.

Wariner ran a personal-best 43.45 seconds in 2007. The Drake Stadium record of 44.41 was set by fellow Baylor alum Michael Johnson in 1996.

“I’m excited to get back out there,” Wariner said, “and just show what I have.”

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/04/09/wariner.remotivated.ap/index.html

Gold medalist Wariner says career 'remotivated'

Sports illustrated.com
Saturday April 9, 2011

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Former Olympic 400-meter champion Jeremy Wariner said he's remotivated in his career and ready to chase after more gold medals.

Wariner ran the anchor leg for the winning Adidas team in the invitational 1,600-relay Saturday at the Texas Relays. Wariner's team already had the lead when he got the baton from Darold Williamson and coasted in to win with a time of 3 minutes, 4.38 seconds.

"Physically I'm great. Getting that first quarter out of the way is good," said Wariner, who turned 27 in January.

It was an easy run on a hot and breezy day in front of about 20,000 fans. The University of Texas track was the launching pad for Wariner's career. He won the NCAA championship in the 400 here in 2004 before winning his Olympic gold a few months later in Athens, Greece.

But Wariner parted ways with his longtime coach Clyde Hart before the 2008 Olympics and finished second to LaShawn Merritt, who beat him again in the 2009 world championships.

Wariner and Hart reunited in 2009 and Wariner says he feels like he's ahead of schedule as he builds toward the world championships later this year.

Wariner admitted it has been difficult to find the right mental focus needed to win every year.

"It's hard, each year trying to find motivation to reach the next level," Wariner said. "Those two years, in '08 and '09 kind of backed me off a little bit. I got remotivated and refocused. I'm back where I was and ready to go. My goal is to win as many championships as possible."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum