PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Richard Thompson breaks Ato Boldon's National Record

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20110815/sports/sports3.html

T&T's Thompson sounds Daegu warning

The Jamaician Gleaner
Monday August 15, 2011

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, (CMC):
A lifetime-best dash from Richard Thompson made the men's 100 metres at this year's World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, even more mouth-watering.

The 26-year-old sprinter Thompson raised eyebrows when he scorched 9.85 seconds on the first day of the Trinidad & Tobago national championships on Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Thompson, silver medallist over the distance at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, showed his class, finishing ahead of Keston Bledman (10.06 secs) and Aaron Armstrong (10.07) in a high-quality field that also included Marc Burns, Emmanuel Callender, Darrel Brown, and Rondel Sorrillo.

New national record
The result meant that Thompson, also known as 'Torpedo', established a new national record in the 100m, eclipsing Ato Boldon's 13-year-old mark of 9.86, as well as a new meet and stadium record.

"The national record was not the goal coming into the race today, but I'm very glad I was able to achieve it," said Thompson, whose victory comes against the backdrop of the National Association of Athletics Administrations turning down his request to skip the meet.

"This is just a bonus. Sometimes in life, when you're trying too hard, you're not able to accomplish it. That was the case in the past.

"I was trying too hard to get under 10 seconds, and this weekend, when I was most relaxed, I was able to achieve it. I'm just thankful to God, family, friends, and fans for coming out to support. I was able to feed off the energy from the crowd."

Before a crowd of 6,000-plus, Thompson benefited from a sound start, and had the race wrapped up at the 60-metre mark

"God does everything for a reason. If I didn't come home this weekend, I would not have gotten the national record this weekend. I'm thankful for the 9.85, and most of all, coming out injury free, and qualifying for Daegu."

Trinida& Tobago will have decent 4 x 100m relay team at the world champs! Could cause an upset and win a medal.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Youngy

Admin
Admin

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum