PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Lets Talk Training! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Lets Talk Training! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Lets Talk Training! EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Lets Talk Training! EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Lets Talk Training! EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Lets Talk Training! EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Lets Talk Training! EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Lets Talk Training! EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Lets Talk Training! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lets Talk Training!

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Lets Talk Training! Empty Lets Talk Training! Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous

Lets talk training methods!

Theres endless methods out there. Alot of which are effective, and alot that are really.. Just S*#&!!
What gets your legs moving fast? or long? And what good training advice would you give a helpless young rookie???

2Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Titan

Anonymous

My best advice would be to seek out an experienced coach with good, proven credentials, & get into it Smile

3Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:39 pm

chris

Anonymous

Do boundary umpiring, ripper off season training

4Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Anonymous

Train like a horse!

5Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Grounded

Anonymous

Doncha think it might be a bit late to talk about winter training? First meet is just over a week away. Not ready by now, you are leaving it late. What about training during competition period? Whats a typical week for a sprinter between meets?

6Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:35 pm

henry.

Anonymous

Not to late for all, Its a long season. Stawell is what 6 months away? But good call, they are two very different phases.
However, can still add in some handy components to your program. Like stretching! I think alot of athletes neglect this under rated aspect of training. Work on your flexibility after a session when the bloods flowing, best time! Prevent injurie (of course), reduce your delayed onset sorness, and increase range and efficiency of motion.
Seriously, for those of you who cant touch there toes, you dont know what you're missing out on untill you've earned some chronic adaptations. You'll automatically be running better just with this component.

7Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Rookie

Anonymous

Hey a lot of us guys are multiple sports people and have maybe come off a tough long footy or rugby season so it's not to late training!! But it sure is fast tracked to get to a decent standard.
Surely the best way to get all cylinders firing is to jump in the deep in with a proven better athlete!! Nobody likes getting left behind and if you have someone to chase it brings out the best very quickly. A good coach with a keen eye for technique improvements helps a lot as well

8Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Squirt

Anonymous

Whats your take on weight work for sprinting? Alot of people dont recommend it and say you shouldnt do leg weights.
Like the jim bradley stuff

9Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:49 pm

chris

Anonymous

ofcourse sprinters need leg weights, kim collins is probably the only world class sprinter that doesnt

10Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Squirt

Anonymous

Well I thought so. Doesnt youngy just the jim bradley stuff so his athletes miss out on the weights?

11Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous

Article on Aaron Roug-Serret that was posted on here a while ago Included the following:

A Week In The Life

Sunday: REST DAY

Monday: Morning track session (long reps), evening upper-body weights.

Tuesday: Morning track session (150m reps), evening lower-body weights.

Wednesday: DAY OFF Massage and physio.

Thursday: Morning track session (speed focus), evening upper-body weights.

Friday: Morning track session (speed focus with a lactate hit at the end), evening lower-body weights

Saturday: Heavy lactic session on the track, afternoon physio.

Surely answeres the question on leg weights and weights in general Smile
The article is a good read anyway, you should check it out.

12Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous

Squirt wrote:Well I thought so. Doesnt youngy just the jim bradley stuff so his athletes miss out on the weights?

Just a word of warning Squirt, be very careful about surmising what other squads do in training. Eg: Don't worry whether YGTS does the "bradley stuff". We're comfortable with what we do and feel its inappropriate to question on a public forum what others are doing, especially before the season has started.

Do whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy what ever training you do.

The article Horse was referring to is available here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

13Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Squirt

Anonymous

Woow dont need to get fiesty youngy! I was just asking. Because young guns usually run well and i assumed they dont do weights, hence the topic of whether leg weights are good or not. maybe if i knew if they didnt do them i wouldnt do them either?
Why do we have a forum if we cant talk about stuff or say anything?

14Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Anonymous

OK Squirt, I will accept there is an element of innocence in your curiosity.

Not sure if you are familiar with the rubbish that was trolled on the Albany forum but it's the "bradley stuff" type comments that attracted the idiots which saw the discussion rapidly deteriorate to a disgraceful cesspool.

At Protrack, I'd prefer if you kept the discussion general rather than target a squad, especially YGTS, and surmise what they do.

If you like what a particular squad does then contact the coach privately and seek futher information.

15Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:00 am

Squirt

Anonymous

You hurt my feelings Crying or Very sad

16Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:02 am

Squirt

Anonymous

lol Nahh ok fair enough. Any tips you can give the lost souls out there? cheers

17Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Youngy

Admin
Admin

To he who called himself 'band'....

Stick to the topic. You will have your post deleted if you divert the thread away from the topic with a gratuitous smart alec comment.

This is not Albany so get use to abiding by the rules.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

18Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Anonymous

I can see why youngy's frustrated when the topics keep coming back to bradley's methods. Why this fixation with bradley & youngy's methods? There are plenty other squads that have had success, why can't someone offer up some info on what other squads do? eg;Steve Butler??????

19Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:59 pm

drSquat

Anonymous

If I can squat 450lbs what time could I run for the 100m?

20Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:49 pm

henry.

Anonymous

Um that would depend on a lot more things than how much you squat...

21Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:25 pm

chris

Anonymous

I wouldnt have used rouge-serrett as an example of a sprinter that does use weights, but on the topic who believes squats are fundamental, because usain bolt doesnt do much squatting and michael johnson never did supposedly, but keep in mind different things work for different people

22Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Anonymous

You can't compare any professional full time athlete with anyone else. They don't have a job that they have to get up early for and most of the time they have physio or massage 3-4 times a week, something that most pro runners don't have the time or money for.

In my opinion being able to recover completely from a large weights session is the key (food, massage and most important SLEEP Sleep ). As said in previous posts though some athletes benefit from heavy weights some just don't and are better off doing something like the Bradley body weight program to get their strength.

23Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Anonymous

Good points Trumpet - get a rep point for that.

Thanks for joining. We lost a couple of Protrack members recently so good to see they've been quickly replaced...and dare I say it - with higher quality contributors. Razz

24Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Anonymous

Im with Trumpet recovery is paramount.

I personally have never trained more than 3 sessions a week, but that is what works for me, my body cant handle training anymore so i dont try.

I believe that recovering well between sessions is the most important part of any program, wheather your training 5 nights a week or 2 if you dont recover properly your body will not respond to the training your doing desirably. the same goes for on the training track, im a firm believer that a sprinter training for sprint events (50-200) should never run fatigued, if your running fatigued you wont run fast or efficiently and in my mind your only training yourself to run poorly, not to mention the added risk of injury. in other words recovery between sets is as important as recovery between sessions.

Different people believe in and have had success with all different kinds of programs and as mentioned different athletes respond to different training methods differently. Alot of differences here Laughing

If your new to the sport you need to try a number of training methods until you find something that your body is comfortable with, if you have been in the sport for a while and your starting to question the training techniques implemented within your program speak to your coach/trainer and findout his/her ideas on what you could do differently to get a better result. Most importantly no one persons ideas/beliefs are gospel so listen to what everyone has to say and sift through it to find what will work for you.

25Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Nittaz

Anonymous

Sure to be deleted in the next 5 minutes???

Everybody responds to alternative training methods. All the evidence based research around the world suggest this also.

Some of the research out of scandanavia look at 48 - 72 hours recovery after a taxing session on the Central Nervous System to optimal success.

Many success sprinters have founded compound lifting such as cleans/snatches/weighted squats to be major to their success in short sprinting.

There's variable research into sprinting/middle distance running, with some looking to short to long and other looking long to short. Long to short with the ideal of building major aerobic capacity, along with preparing the bodys tissue to handle increases mechanical loading stress over time. The short to long program ideally with a view to increase efficacy of biomechanics in shorter work load to reduce risk of injury once introducing longer work load later on.

Each to their own.

I find the long to short program better for my body type, however I can see merit in short to long programming.

Body weight regimes are safe and i guess probably reduce the risk of 'acute' based injuries in comparison to compound lifting such as the dead lift and power cleans or squat snatch etc, however may contribute to postural anomolies that may 'indirectly' cause over use injuries (i.e - sit - ups possibly leading to increase shortening of hip flexors/anterior pelvic tilt - and possibly increased tensile stress on stuctures in the posterior chain of the body).

Nitta

26Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:12 am

whispers

Anonymous

Where have you been ,Nitta.We have all missed you!!!!!!!!

27Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous

If your willing to stick in the sport through all the ups and downs you will experience and hear many different coaching tips and styles but at the end of the day do what ever works for your body and gets the results you want. Its a shame when athletes with so much talent are scared to try something different with someone else.

Unfortunately this sport is hard on the body no matter what type of program you are on and injuries happen to most athletes, its how the athlete comes back for those injuries that determines how far he/she will go for the success.

28Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 am

Anonymous

When it comes to training it's the 1%s that make all the difference. How long you spend warming up as well as cooling down. I feel focus at training is the key element. If you are not switched on at training, how do you expect to be switched on and focused come race day.

A coach once told me train how you wish to compete. If you train soft, you will compete soft and if you train joking around, your performance will be a joke. No

If you train hard and at a high quality, Evil or Very Mad your results will reflect this. Sometimes training isn't always meant to be fun. Ask Offereins how many fun sessions he has a week!

29Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:35 pm

MrRiddle

Anonymous

Amen to that Marvolo!!! :-D

30Lets Talk Training! Empty Re: Lets Talk Training! Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:35 pm

boobs

Anonymous

Marvolo, youre a genius.

How about suppliments? any really good ones anyone can recommend?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum