PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times  EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Science Says Sled Training Improves Sprint Times

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anonymous

by Joshua Wortman, Contributor - Health and Fitness News
Sled training has become a staple training method in the fitness world. Bodybuilders use it for conditioning and muscle-building purposes, whereas sprinters use it to improve acceleration. Acceleration is the rate at which velocity changes with time, or the rate at which something speeds up or slows down. Acceleration is a very important component of field sports, and is often considered necessary for success. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] compared the effects of combined weighted sled training and sprint training against traditional sprint training on 10 and 30 meter speed in professional rugby union players.

The study consisted of 20 professional rugby players and compared the effects of a combined sled-tow sprint training program with a traditional sprint training program. The participants were placed into either a sled training group, or a traditional sprint training group. The sled group consisted of three 20 meter tows with 12.6% body mass on the sled, as well as two series of three 20 meter sprints. Recent research shows that a load of 12.5-13% of body mass is optimal for sled training since it does not alter sprint kinematics. The traditional sprint program consisted of three 20 meter sprints as well as two series of three 20 meter sprints. Each group performed training sessions twice a week for six weeks. Times for the 10 meter and 30 meter sprints were conducted before and after the training.

At the end of the study, both training protocols resulted in significantly lower 10 meter and 30 meter sprint times. The changes in the participants 10 meter and 30 meter speed times showed the sled training group had more improvement than the traditional sprint training group. However, when compared to baseline times, the sled group produced changes of -2.4% (10 meter) and -2.5% (30 meter), compared to respective changes of -1.1% and -1.2% in the traditional sprint group.

In addition to the findings of this study, prior research revealed that sprint training utilizing towing a sled loaded with 5 kilograms for a duration of 8 weeks resulted in improved acceleration performance. When using resistance, the body is forced to fire harder on each step. Over time, the athlete’s nervous system may learn to fire harder all the time, not just directly after use of the weighted sled.

Although the results of the study show that each training protocol is successful for speed development, it appears that the combination of sled-tows with sprint training produce better gains. There are many designs and models of sleds being produced today, and for good reason - they work.

Anonymous

Not sure the correct heading has been used here. Maybe "Study shows Sled Training improved acceleration times".

This particular study may have concluded that weighted sleds have a beneficial effect for the acceleration (0 to 30m) of 'field event players', ie: rugby players, but it's drawing a long bow to use this study as a case for the introduction of sled towing to a track sprinter's training and think it will generate an improvement in his/her 100m time.

The studies I've read, and there's been a few, suggest there's no improvement and is actually counter-productive as opposed to a program of non-resistant training in terms of a sprinter's overall speed for the 100m.

Here's one I found in just a few seconds on the internet to counter the study in the first post.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm of the belief, and it's one shared by a lot of sports scientists (of which I'm not..) that towing sleds have a counter effect in terms of sprint mechanics and ground contact time, and therefore I would be reluctant to introduce it into a training regime for a track sprinter. However if I was coaching rugby players for acceleration I would think about it.

That's not to say I would condemn anyone who uses sleds - each to their own.

Anonymous

Just another note to this - I was at the Charlie Francis seminar a couple of years ago, and in a somewhat informal question & answer discussion with Charlie, a S&C guy from a football/rugby background asked Charlie when would he would use sleds....

Charlie's reply was: "When I start coaching huskies".

Anonymous

From personal experience, I have reaped huge benefits from towing (also pushing) sleds in training. My acceleration was greatly improved. I didn't (from what I believe) suffer any mechanical breakdowns as there was a lot of focus on the mechanics and free accelerations in conjunction with the sled tows, to ensure the training was transferred to the running track. My top speed didn't seem to suffer so as stated above, "each to their own"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum