PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

Log in

I forgot my password



Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sclanders v SAAL
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyFri Jun 05, 2020 4:43 pm by getting2old4this

» Kensington handicaps - 2019
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 2:18 pm by RUN LIKE A CHEATAH

» WOW SAAL noms
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyMon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm by Wolfjackson

» Pro running legend, Marcus Arnold R.I.P.
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyFri May 29, 2020 10:39 am by Admin

» Top 5 things I'm looking forward after COVID19
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyThu May 28, 2020 8:27 am by RUN LIKE A CHEATAH

» Submission to the SAAL in January regarding Tom Sclanders
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyTue May 26, 2020 6:04 pm by Steve Buscemi

» National League
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyThu May 21, 2020 8:54 am by OH MY

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by MPoppins

» athlete registrations
Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 11:05 am by RUN LIKE A CHEATAH

June 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930     

Calendar Calendar


You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » International Results & News » Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult

Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

youngy

youngy
Admin
Admin
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2034347/Oscar-Pistorious-storms-interview.html#ixzz1XDik25p9

Oscar Pistorius walks out of BBC interview after insult Article-0-0DA8252500000578-870_468x286
Medal winning: Oscar Pistorius competes in the 4x400m relay

Furious Pistorius blasts 'insulting' interviewer over 'embarrassment' claim

By Sportsmail Reporter
UK Daily Mail
6th September 2011


Oscar Pistorius stormed out of a radio interview after being asked if he considered himself 'an inconvenient embarrassment' to athletics authorities.

Double amputee Pistorius, known as the 'Blade Runner', became the first Paralympian to win an able-bodied World Championship medal on Saturday when he helped South Africa take silver in the 4x400 metres relay.

However, he was controversially dropped from the final after running in the heats in Daegu, a decision that upset the 24-year-old.

And he was angered again when asked on BBC Radio Four how his participation might be viewed by South African authorities and the IAAF, who were forced to allow him to take part in able-bodied events by a Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling three years ago.

Interviewer Rob Bonnet asked: 'Some people regard you, no doubt, as an inspiration to Paralympic athletes, no question about that.

'But it might also be said that you're a inconvenient embarrassment to the South African authorities and the IAAF because, effectively, you're taking them into uncharted ethical waters here. What's your reaction to that?'

Pistorius replied: 'I think that's an insult to me and I think this interview is over.

Bonnet protested his question was not intended as an 'insult' but Pistorius hit back: 'That is an insult. Thank you very much.'

Pistorius also rejected fellow Paralympic legend Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson's call for him to be prevented from running at the 2012 Games if he competes at the Olympics.

Grey-Thompson said last week: 'If he makes the Olympics then his 400m event should not be run at the Paralympics because the Paralympics should never be a B final.'

Asked if he could see her point of view, Pistorius said: 'Absolutely not - not at all.'

Indeed, 100m, 200m and 400m Paralympic champion Pistorius is determined to double up next year.

'I want to compete in both,' he told BBC Breakfast TV. 'I will be running the 100m, 200m and 400m in the Paralympics.

'I've got to run one more qualification time for the Olympics between January and June next year.'

In a statement, a BBC spokesperson said: 'This was a frank interview which, as we acknowledged on air, didn't end as we would have hoped.

'Oscar Pistorius has been a focus for controversy and ethical debate in sport. This interview reflected that controversy, but it was never intended to cause offence.'


_________________
"Let's Go While We're Young"

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum