PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tyson Gay still positive despite loss to Mullings

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2011-06-12-tyson-gay-loss_n.htm

Tyson Gay stays positive despite loss
By Roxanna Scott,
USA TODAY
13th June 2011

NEW YORK — Tyson Gay finished second in the men's 100 meters to Jamaica's Steve Mullings on Saturday in the Adidas Grand Prix. But racing in difficult conditions, Gay said he came away with a positive outlook heading into the U.S. championships in two weeks.

Mullings edged Gay in a photo finish on a cool and rainy afternoon at Icahn Stadium on Randall Island. With a headwind of 3.4 meters per second, both were timed at 10.26 seconds. Gay was slow out of the blocks but nearly caught his training partner Mullings.

"I didn't let the conditions bother me," said Gay, 28, the 2007 world champion in the 100 and 200 who trains in Clermont, Fla.

"I still have a positive mind frame that once I put everything together, I know it's going to be pretty good. I know when the conditions are better, there's going to be a better outcome."

The race was delayed because of three false starts. Gay said he tried to block out the distractions, but he was sluggish at the start. "It gets a little frustrating that you have to go through that," he said.

Saturday was only the second time Gay has raced in the 100 this season. He ran a world-leading 9.79 in a meet in Florida last weekend. He said he was not planning to run the 200 at nationals June 25-28 in Eugene, Ore., which serve as the qualifier for the world championships in September in South Korea. "But I'll just see how training goes the next week or so," Gay said.

The conditions slowed other Americans competing in the Diamond League meet. Three-time world champion Allyson Felix won the women's 200 in 22.92, more than a half-second off her season best. She said her coach was leaning against attempting the 200 and 400 double at nationals, which she has been considering.

Jeremy Wariner, the 2004 Olympic champion, won the men's 400 in 45.13 after finishing second to Angelo Taylor in last week's Prefontaine Classic. Wariner was encouraged by the result despite the slow race.

"I have the strength," he said. "My speed was a lot better today than it was before. In better conditions, I would have run a season best. I'm happy with how things went ."

Oscar Pistorius, the double-amputee sprinter from South Africa, was fifth in the field of eight with a time of 45.69. His goal was to run 45.25 seconds or better, the time he needs to automatically qualify for the world championships.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum