PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Tim McGuire Sprints to a Surprise Win

In his first SA Athletic League start this season, SA long jump champion Tim McGuire won the Keith Patching Memorial 70m, the feature event of the Brighton athletic carnival on Sunday. Running off the back mark of 4.50m, McGuire quickly gathered in the field to win from the two front markers Reynella’s Daniel Flesfader (8.50m) and Western District athlete David Miller (9.50m) in 7.72secs.

Having not previously run with the SAAL this season, McGuire wasn’t sure of his chances when he arrived at Brighton.

“This is a big surprise, I didn’t expect this today” McGuire said.

I’ve been running well, being injury free, so I was hoping to do well, but I wasn’t expecting this”.

The Western District athlete won two gold medals in the sprint relays and jumped a (reduced run up) personal best of 7.50m on Saturday.

“I felt good running in the state relay champs yesterday and jumped a (long jump) PB for a three quarter run-up”.

McGuire isn’t entered for the 120m Bay Sheffield as he feels he isn’t suited to the distance.

“’I’ve only entered the 70m, I find the 120m too far.”

The in-form sprinter of the year, Neil Thomas collected his fifth win of the season taking out the 120m Gift. It was the 27 year old’s most impressive win to date and places him among the top SA contenders for the Bay Sheffield in a fortnight.

Thomas (10.00m) defeated Pembroke’s Jake Jervis-Bardy (8.00m) and 17 year old Sebastian Baird (7.00m) in 12.76secs.

Coastal’s Yasmin Openshaw made up for her 3rd place in the 70m at the Pre-Bay meet last week, winning the 120m and joining her sister Hayley, who finished third, as a genuine contender for the Women’s Bay Sheffield. Openshaw (12.00m) had a metre to spare to Ali Trewartha (10.75m) in 14.66secs.

Sacred Heart footballer Ben Wright (26m) made a well timed run for the line to edge out Camden’s Matthew Cousins (30m) and former state junior hurdles champion Connor Verrall (22m) in 35.09secs.

Sisters Amy & Katherine Robb fought out the final of the Women’s 300m with Amy (28m) holding on from her elder sibling by half a metre in 39.57secs. It was Amy’s third win this season and second in succession after last week’s win over 550m at Colley Reserve.

Michael Buckler’s McKinnon Parade stable once again dominated the distance events with Corey Watkins (78m) winning the Open 1000m from stablemate Steven Jelfs (65m) while Mark Howson  (205m) won his third consecutive race, taking out the Over 35’s 1000m from stablemates Andrew Wright (65m) and Steve Wilson (38m), giving Buckler five of the six place getters.

Another winner from last week’s Colley Reserve meet, Flinders’ Nadia De Bellis (100m) won her second her sash, when she stormed away from Jemma Nguyen (75m) and backmarker Bridgid Connolly (52m) to win the Women’s 1000m in 2mins 56.54secs.

Western District Athletic Club’s junior athletes made it a clean sweep of the under age events with the diminutive Natassia Messent winning the Under 14’s 120m, the Debbie Meich coached Oliver Callahan scorching away with the Under 20’s 70m, while 16 year old Riley Bonner worked his way through the traffic to win the Under 17’s 300m.  

In the over 35’s 120m Peter Biggs finally broke through for a well-deserved win, beating backmarkers’ David Miller and Ross Nitschke.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Error made in Women's 120 para.)

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/state-long-jump-champion-tim-mcguire-wins-70m-at-brighton-athletic-carnival/story-fni9llzu-1226784364873

State long jump champion Tim McGuire wins 70m at Brighton Athletic Carnival

By Paul Young
Guardian Messenger
December 16, 2013

Tim McGuire Sprints to Surprise Win - 2013 Brighton Review 364846-23845d62-6558-11e3-8787-87be39998516
Kurralta Park sprinter Neil Thomas wins the 120m Gift at the Brighton Athletic Carnival. Picture: Stephen LafferSource: News Limited

STATE long jump champion Tim McGuire has won the Keith Patching Memorial 70m, the feature event of Sunday's Brighton Athletic Carnival.

Running off the back mark of 4.5m, McGuire quickly gathered in the field to win from the two front markers Reynella's Daniel Flesfader (8.5m) and Western District athlete David Miller (9.5m) in 7.72 secs.

Having not previously run with the SAAL this season, McGuire was not sure of his chances when he arrived at Brighton.

"This is a big surprise, I didn't expect this today" he said.

"I've been running well, being injury free, so I was hoping to do well, but I wasn't expecting this."

The Western District athlete had won two gold medals in the sprint relays and jumped a reduced run up personal best of 7.5m at the state championships the previous day.

McGuire has not entered the 120m Bay Sheffield as he feels he is not suited to the distance.

"I've only entered the 70m - I find the 120m too far," he said.

In-form sprinter Neil Thomas collected his fifth win of the season taking out the 120m Gift.

It was the 27 year old's most impressive victory to date and places him among the top SA contenders for the Bay Sheffield in a fortnight.

Thomas (10m) defeated Pembroke's Jake Jervis-Bardy (8m) and 17 year old Sebastian Baird (7m) in 12.76 secs.

Coastal's Yasmin Openshaw made it back-to-back sashes after winning the 120m women's event.

Last week, Openshaw won the 70m at the Pre-Bay meet and has joined her sister Hayley, who finished third, as a genuine contender for the women's Bay Sheffield.

Openshaw (12m) had a metre to spare to Ali Trewartha (10.75m) in 14.66 secs.

Sisters Amy and Katherine Robb fought out the final of the women's 300m with Amy (28m) holding off her elder sibling by half a metre in 39.57 secs.

Michael Buckler's McKinnon Parade stable once again dominated the distance events with Corey Watkins (78m) winning the open 1000m from stablemate Steven Jelfs (65m), while Mark Howson (205m) won his third consecutive race, taking out the over-35 1000m from stablemates Andrew Wright (65m) and Steve Wilson (38m).

Flinders' Nadia De Bellis (100m) won her second her sash of the season, when she stormed away from Jemma Nguyen (75m) and backmarker Bridgid Connolly (52m) to win the women's 1000m in 2 mins 56.54 secs.

Western District Athletic Club's junior athletes made it a clean sweep of the under age events with the diminutive Natassia Messent winning the under-14 120m, the Debbie Meich coached Oliver Callahan scorching away with the under-20 70m and 16 year old Riley Bonner working his way through the traffic to win the under-17 300m.

In the over-35 120m, Peter Biggs finally broke through for a well-deserved win beating backmarkers' David Miller and Ross Nitschke.

________________________________________________________________________________

Apologies to Lauren McHugh who won the Women's 70m at the PreBay. It was late on Sunday night (after a long day) when I was writing this article and when I picked up the Program to check I picked up the 2012 Pre Bay Sheff program not the 2013 program.
By the time I realised the error on Monday it was too late to notify the paper.

Sorry if I made Franky....cranky.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum