PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/1988825/john-howe-wins-mmg-rosebery-gift/?cs=88

John Howe wins MMG Rosebery Gift

By CAMERON WHITELEY
The Advocate
Dec. 23, 2013

Howe winds back the clock to win Rosebery Gift W200_h132_fcrop

JOHN Howe wound back the clock on Saturday, replicating his success from 2002 in winning this year's MMG Rosebery Gift.

On that occasion, he was only 17, but much has changed since then.

Howe is only in his third season back running, after an eight-year spell due to work commitments.

He made it two Gift wins in as many weeks, after winning the PCCCT race last Sunday.

``I'm very surprised to win,'' the Preservation Bay runner said after the race.

``I've had an interrupted pre-season due to injury but I'm feeling good now.''

From a mark of 7.5m, Howe came out on top in a quality field featuring Stawell Gift winner Andrew Robinson, finishing in a time of 12:55.

Howe held out 2012 runner-up, Wynyard's Jordan Englund, who made it two second placings from as many years.

''My basic plan was to get ahead of the two runners beside me and then I had the girl to catch up to as well,'' Howe said.

Howe said the fact Robinson was so far back was a bonus.

''The further back Andrew is, the better,'' he said.

Howe secured the $500 first prize and a watch for his efforts.

With success at Rosebery now ticked off his to-do list, Howe is now promising to be a force to be reckoned with at the remaining carnivals.

``I'm not going to back off for anything,'' he said.

``I'm feeling good, I have been back for three years and the last two have been cut short by injury around about this time.''

Howe said he was hoping his Rosebery win wouldn't disadvantage him too much in terms of handicaps in the upcoming races.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1987668/howe-storms-to-victory/

Howe storms to victory

By PHIL EDWARDS
The Examiner
Dec. 21, 2013

NORTH-West runner John Howe won his second Rosebery gift yesterday as the 2013-14 Christmas carnival series kicked off at the West Coast mining town.

Howe, of Preservation Bay, won the 2002 Rosebery gift and backed it up 11 years later after taking an extended break from the sport.

Running from a handicap mark of 7.5 metres, Howe ran strongly to win by about half a metre from Wynyard footballer Jorden Englund (9.25m) with Burnie's David McCrae third (8.5m).

Howe's winning time for the open 120m gift was 12.55 seconds.

Launceston's Andrew Robinson (1.25m), Highclere's Eddie Gates (6m) and Sheffield's Ashleigh Corbett (19.75m) also made the gift final.

``I won the gift in 2002 as a 17-year-old, but gave running away at 18 for about six seasons,'' Howe said.

``I came back about three seasons ago, but have had a few niggling injuries in the past couple of years, but I'm fully fit this year.

``I'm pleased with the way I'm running after winning the West Park gift last weekend and the Latrobe Gift is my next target and I'm going all out to win that.''

The open 200m event was won by Englund off 18m in a time of 20.83, from Robinson (4m) and Howe (13m).

Devonport's Nicole Perry took out the open 400m race off 66m in 48.69, with Burnie's Jacqui Dalwood second (73m) and Launceston's Darcy Lahey third (24m).

Dalwood won the open 800m from a mark of 135m from Perry (130m) and Hobart's Darren Brown (120m) in a winning time of 1:51.55.

The 1600m handicap went to 17-year-old gun Kale Adams (100m) in 4:09.07, from Brown (265m) and Dion Kenzie (140m).

The masters winner was Dick Archer, of Burnie.

The Rosebery Wheel was taken out by an international rider. Promising 18-year-old German cyclist Achim Burkart took line honours.

``It was a very good carnival particularly for local runners and cyclists who use it as a vital part of their warm-up for the big carnivals,'' Sports Carnivals of Tasmania president Mike Gunson said.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum