PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Coaches Code of Conduct EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coaches Code of Conduct

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Coaches Code of Conduct Empty Coaches Code of Conduct Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Anonymous

Over the last few days there has been many rumors and innuendo circulating in the SA Athletics realm regarding abusive posts on particular forums. I have registered on Pro Track with the express sole intention of providing my IP Address to the moderators so that one in particular can cross reference my IP address against those he has logged as being abusive toward him.

You will notice that MY IP address will NOT correspond to any abusive posts - as I have not posted on this or any other forum in quite some time, and in the event that I have posted on any forums it is in my own name - which invariably creates more hassle than it is worth.

This is not to say, however, that I have not read the forums with interest and fascination as to the comical goings on, and banter to and fro. I have not contributed to it though. I hope that this ends the malicious rumormongering circulating within the athletic ranks in SA as to my involvement.

To contribute to this forum in a positive way - and to address the title of this thread, I felt it necessary to post the Athletics SA coaches code of conduct to remind us all about the guidelines set forth by the governing bodies of our sport. Some will be well advised to give the following information thought and reflection, and smarten up their act:

B5 Accredited Athletics Coach Coaching Code of Conduct
In addition to Athletics SA’s General Code of Conduct, you must meet the following requirements in regard to your conduct during any activity associated either directly or indirectly with your involvement in the sport of athletics (including, but not restricted to, the activities of training, competing, travelling to and from training and competition, club registration and team membership) whether or not such activity is held or sanctioned by Athletics SA, or an affiliated club and including your role as a coach:
The Code of Conduct for the Accredited Athletics Coach is adopted from the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) and the Australian Track and Field Coaches Associations (ATFCA). The basic principle is that ethical considerations leading to fair play are integral and mandatory elements of coaching Athletics. These ethical considerations apply to all levels of ability and commitment, including recreational and competitive involvement in Athletics.
A Coach is required to be a positive role model for athletes so they learn fair play and sportsperson-like behaviours. The role of the coach is therefore an ambassador, educator and guardian of the ethical values of fair play within the sport of Athletics.
The coach’s primary role is to facilitate the process of individual development through achievement of athletic potential. This role accepts the athletes’ long term interests as of greater importance than short term athletic considerations. To fulfill this role the coach must behave in an ethical manner, specifically in relation to the following points:
1. Coaches must respect the basic human rights, that is the equal rights, of each athlete with no
discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, birth or other status.
2. Coaches must respect the dignity and recognise the contribution of each individual. Coaches must not act in any ways that is defamatory, insulting or abusive to others. This includes respecting the rights of an individual for freedom from verbal, physical or sexual harassment and advances.
3. Coaches must avoid any form of sexual relationship with athletes that could develop as a result of their coach-athlete relationship.
4. Coaches must ensure that practical environments are safe and appropriate. This appropriateness must take into consideration the age, maturity and skill level of the athlete. This is particularly important in the case of younger or less experienced athletes.
5. Coaches will always consider the physical and emotional well-being of an athlete and place these needs ahead of any other concerns, such as competition or training. Coaches will discourage athletes from competing or training if there is likelihood that such competition or training could be detrimental to the athlete’s physical or emotional well-being.
6. Coaches will, wherever practical, avoid unaccompanied and unobserved one-on-one activity,
when in a supervisory capacity or where a power imbalance will exist, with people under the age of 18 years.
7. Coaches must acknowledge and respect the Rules of Competition. This respect should extend to the spirit as well as to the letter of the rules, in both training and competition, to ensure fairness of competitive opportunity between all athletes.
8. Coaches must exhibit an active respect for officials, by accepting the role of the officials in providing judgment to ensure that competitions are conducted fairly and according to the established rules.
9. Coaches have a responsibility to influence the performance and conduct of the athletes they
coach, while at the same time encouraging the independence and self determination of each
athlete by their acceptance of responsibility for their own decisions, conduct and performance.
10. Coaches must assert a positive and active leadership role to prevent any use of prohibited drugs or other disallowed performance enhancing substances or practices. This includes education of the athletes of the harmful effects of prohibited substances and practices.
11. The coach must acknowledge that all coaches have an equal right to desire the success of the athletes they coach - competing within the rules. Observations, recommendations and criticism should be directed to the appropriate person outside the view or hearing of the public domain.
12. The coach must acknowledge and recognise that all athletes have a right to pursue their athletic potential. A coach will recognise that a previous coach-athlete relationship may exist and that prior to taking on an athlete, all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure any previous relationship has ended in a ‘professional manner’.
Coaches will always recognise the athlete’s right to consult with other coaches and advisers.
13. Coaches will hold the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS) Accredited Athletics Coach (AAC) qualification. Coaches will respect that coaching accreditation is an ongoing commitment, achieved through the upgrading of their knowledge by further participation in accredited programs, or workshops, as well as through practical coaching experience. Coaches also have a responsibility to share the knowledge and practical experience they gain.
14. Coaches must at all times, be honest and never allow their qualifications or experience to be
misrepresented.
15. Coaches must respect the image of the coach and continuously maintain the highest standards of personal conduct, reflected in both the manner of appearance and behaviour. Coaches must never smoke while coaching or in the presence of athletes, nor consume alcoholic beverages so soon before coaching that it affects their competence or that the smell of alcohol is on their breath.
16. Coaches should cooperate with all individuals and agencies that could play a role in the
development of the athletes they coach, including working with other coaches and where
appropriate, sports science and sports medicine professionals.
17. Coaches must not act in any way that brings the sport of athletics, Athletics Australia in its role as the National Federation, the IAAF or any other member organisation into disrepute.

2Coaches Code of Conduct Empty Re: Coaches Code of Conduct Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Sharkey

Anonymous

Andrew
All very well,but the main ingredient is common curtsy and the sooner people spent more time worrying about what they do than what everybody else is doing the better of and the bigger improvement everyone will have.Generally the ones commenting have never trained or coached anyone in there lives "You don't make mistakes if you don't do anything"but also you never learn.

3Coaches Code of Conduct Empty Re: Coaches Code of Conduct Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Curious1

Anonymous

who does Beck have in mind that should be smartening up? is he in a position to be offering advice? Interesting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum