PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bubka believes Coaches deserve a higher status

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Coaches deserve higher status for the sake of all sport, insists Bubka

By DAVID ALEXANDER
SINGAPORE, August 19
Olympic News

Sergey Bubka believes coaches must be given more respect and responsibility if sport is to continue to thrive. He was speaking after coaches had joined competitors and officials - for the first time - in taking the Olympic oath at the Opening Ceremony of the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in Singapore.

This had been suggested by Bubka, chairman of the Summer Youth Olympics' coordination commission, and was adopted by the International Olympic Committee before being implemented for the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore.

He said: “I’m delighted with the way things are going at the start of the Youth Olympic Games and this event will be a huge success. I have no doubt that some of the young sportsmen and women we will see in Singapore will go on to become stars in London in 2012 and Rio four years later.

“But it is essential that coaches understand the responsibilities that fall on their shoulders. The Youth Olympic Games made a pledge to encourage coaches to encourage coaches to adopt an even greater appreciation of their influential role with the young sports stars of the future.

"Coaches must not only look at the sporting performance aspects of what they do, but also educate and mentor young athletes and instil them with the ideals of the Olympic Movement and prepare them for not only sport but their future beyond sport.

“If we do not seek to raise standards in all aspects of coaching, we are letting down the younger generation whose dreams and ambitions are so closely linked with the education they receive from their training teams.”

IOC member Bubka, who is also senior vice-president of the International Amateur Athletics Association, president of the Ukraine National Olympic Committee and won the pole vault gold medal at the Seoul Olympic Games in 1988, also runs the Bubka Sports Club in Donetsk, which trains 300 young athletes.

He is also a member of the Laureus World Sports Academy, which raises money to promote the use of sport to support disadvantaged young people around the world.

With 3600 athletes aged 14-18 from more than 200 countries taking part in the Youth Olympic Games, Bubka believes that the event is a huge opportunity for sport to make a difference to the world at large.

He added: “I will never cease to be inspired by the way in which sport brings people together and creates a sense of respect and understanding across cultures and nationalities. Sport can make a positive change to society.

“I am convinced that the Youth Olympic Games will further inspire young people to become more active and engage in sport to lead healthier, well-balanced lifestyles. That includes not only their development in sport but also to learn and understand different cultures and contribute to their appreciation of society and the environment around us.

“These Games in Singapore will promote sport, culture and education, creating a legacy which I believe can only have positive benefits on younger generations.”

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum