Speedy Queensland Premier League Rugby Union player and civil engineering graduate Chris Mansell (green) of Brisane has taken out the 110m 2014 Noosa Gift final in blustery conditions under lights. Chris running off a mark of 9.25m fought for the victory in a time of 11.27sec to claim the $3500 winners cheque. This was an improvement on his earlier heat and semi times, 11.47 and 11.52. He held off white marker Tremaine Peters (8m) 11.35 in second and front marker Zayne Buckley (17m) 11.41 into third.
Chris, now 23 returned to athletics earlier this year after running in last years Noosa Gift. and as a schoolboy was one of the nation's hottest track prospects, clocking a rapid 10.69sec to break the Queensland Under 17 100m record.
The Noosa Gift contested 7 heats and 4 semi finals to reach the eight runner final. With finalists being introduced and piped to the start line by the Noosa District Pipe Band. The Carnival attracted over 200 junior and senior athletes who contested QAL events, 110m Noosa Surf Club Gift, 70m Pacific Ford Dash, 300m Murray Surveyors Gallop and AccomNoosa Ladies Invitation 110m. Total prize purse for the Carnival was over $11 000.
Eliminations early in the 34 degree afternoon heat included returning athlete Matt Davies (5m) in 11.98s, 2009 Stawell Gift winner Aaron Stubs (3.5m) in 11.86s, and defending 2013 Noosa Gift winner Liam Gander (4m) 12.14s.
The AccomNoosa Ladies Invitation Final was a front markes affair with winner Miriam Penui (13.05s) only a chest ahead of sprinter Katie Colebourne (13.14) and Qld Hurdler Summer Johnson (13.23) with the video confirming 2nd and 3rd respectively.
Athlete Zane Buckley took out the 70m Pacific Ford Dash final and was then penalised half a metre when later qualifying for the Noosa Gift Final as front marker.
Brisbane St Aidan's School girl Madelene Atley (48) flew around the bend and won the Murray Surveyors 300m Gallop in a time of 33.12secs. Atley is the current Australian 400m champion for her age and showed a clean set of heels to Mooloolaba beach sprinter Conor Loughnan (26m) 33.73 in second and Luke Grimly (24) 34.15sec in third. Madelene was happy enough with the winners coveted green sash before she realised that the winners envelope contained a $1000 cheque ; not a bad days work for a high school student.
RESULTS 2014 NOOSA GIFT PROFESSIONAL QAL EVENTS
NOOSA SURF CLUB 110M NOOSA GIFT FINAL $6000
1. Chris Mansell (Green 9.25m) 11.27s
2. Tremaine Peters (White 8m) 11.35s
3. Zayne Buckley (Maroon 16.5m) 11.41s
4. Jake Chelmers (Blue 12.5m) 11.42s
5. Brendan Herrigan (Red 7m) 11.43s
6. James Woodgate (Yellow 8.75) 11.54s
7. Ted Belcher (Pink 11m) 11.61s
8. Connor Loughman (Blue 8m) 11.62s
AccomNoosa 110m Ladies Invitational Final $1000
1. Miriam Penui (Pink) 13.05s
2.Katie Colebourne (Maroon) 13.14s
3. Summer Johnson (Black) 13.23s
4. Madelene Atlee (White) 13.29s
5. Samantha Johnson (Yellow) 13.43s
6. Nicole kay (Red) 13.51s
7. Rianna Dorey (Green) 13.68s
8. Nikki Vernados (Blue) 13.75s
Murray Surveyors 300m Gallop Final $2330
1. Madelene Attley ( Red-white 48) 33.12s
2. Conor Loughnan ( Blue 26m) 33.73s
3. Luke Grimely (White 24m ) 34.15s
4. Jacob L-Huisman (Green 30m) 34.16s
5. Gary Finegan ( Red 11m) 34.4 s
6. Rianna Dorey ( Orange 45m ) 35.65s
7. Alex Carey -Foster ( Yellow 28m) 35.9s
8. Davidson (Yellow-black m) 36.21s
Pacific Ford 70m Dash Final $750
1. Zane Buckley (15m) 7.26s